Mathews DXT, Drenalin, or Hoyt Katera HELP

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by wellawayfarm, Mar 26, 2008.

1. wellawayfarm

wellawayfarm New Member

Hi, its time for an upgrade for me. I currently have a Hoyt Ultra Tec. I was looking at the DXT and Drenalin from Mathews or the Hoyt katera. I was wondering if anyone has a few comments about them to help me with my decision. Any knowledge you may have will help me. Thanks

2. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

i have a drenalin and love it. i have shot the dxts and was actually going to buy one the day my bow picked me. its a personal preference thing, they are all great bows just go with what feels the best for you a person cant buy a bad bow with technology what it is today.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

HMMM going from a Ultratec to a DXT? let me know howthat works out for you......:lol:

I dont believe you will be happy with that dicission, the other 2 would be better choices.....IMO

The Ultratec is and has been a great bow......

4. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

I have an ultra Mag. So far, the katera tops my wish list. Maybe next year, if the price comes down. I envy anyone shopping for a new bow. Have fun!

5. UltraElite 06

UltraElite 06 Vote for Pedro

There are some who think the Ultratec was Hoyts best all around bow, upgrade if you want to but the new bows wont do anything better than the Ultratec.

6. drew92

drew92 New Member

the dxt is awsome.

7. D. Long

D. Long New Member

I would also consider Hoyt's 7 by 37. I got one this year and is a perfect combination of speed and accuracy. I understand that accuracy has to do with the knucklehead holding the bow.:biggrin1:

8. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I have a vulcan which is pretty much the same thing as the katera. I would recomend the xl if you are going with the katera. You will apreciate the little extra brace height. I have found the vulcan is a very good shooting bow, but with the short brace height I personally need to be careful with my form or it can be an arm slapper. I love it now but I am little nervous about when it's cold out and I have a heavy coat on. I am definitely going to have to wear an armguard over any loose fitting or bulky coat. The vulcan has taught me to be better with my form and how I grip my bow so I don't slap my arm. So, I guess it's a good thing overall.

9. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

I havent shot any of the new ones, but i have 3 buddies that all got the katera, and like them alot. I wanted to shoot one, but decided i shouldnt as im saving up for some new binos, I guess the trykon will need to fill the freezer a few more years....... If i were you i would shoot all 3 and pick the one YOU like the best....

10. Sean Foster

Sean Foster New Member

I just bought a Katera and love it. I am brand-new to archery/bowhunting and started out sighting in my 20-yard pin and within a few days, had it down to 3" groups. I went on to make consistent 4" groups sighting in the 30-yard pin.

While hunting, I will not take a shot unless I know it will be a clean kill, and as of this writing, my comfort zone is out to the 30-yard mark. As a matter of fact, I won't even begin to sight in the next pin unless I am completely ready to move on and having had this bow for only 1 1/2 weeks and being where I am, I think that's saying something, especially since I am so new.

This is the only bow I've owned so I cannot comment on the others, but, for what it's worth, I have heard/read a lot about Mathews bows and all of it good. The only way to know which you'll like best is to shoot them all, I guess.

Good luck!

11. lungbuster

lungbuster Senior Member

my 2 cents

I have had a few bows in my time last 3 hoyt trykon, hate it hardest pull bow I had to that date my razortec was smoother. I then went to the mathews drenalin, I love the mathews draw its great. light ,fast, and smooth.. I have the dxt know love it, its a small bow that shoots like a big bow . no hand shox,smooth as silk, light and anyone thats say's they don't like a light bow own's a heavy one.. I say shoot them side by side if you can. mathews brace height is 7 inch's thats a plus in my book. I shot the pse xforce, hoyt, and bowtech, all good bows but I think they all what to be like a mathews look who started the parallel bow.

12. presspal111

presspal111 Junior Member

I have the mathews sb and the hoyt valcun I will not give up eather :rockon: :peace: :wave:
    I put the standerd hoyt grip on and just cant stop shooting them both
    :rockon:

13. jkcerda

jkcerda the GOON squad POSEE

which one feels better to you?

I liked the feel of the Katera, that bow felt good to me:rockon:

14. Sean Foster

Sean Foster New Member

*** UPDATE***

I am out to my 60-yard pin! I would never try to take game at this distance for fear of the game jumping the string. If 330 FPS is an accurate IBO speed, I'm probably around 315 - 320 FPS since I moved my draw weight up to 70 pounds (from 60), my draw length is 29", and it's set to 65% letoff. Even at this speed, it takes a while to get to the target. I'd be sick to my stomach for weeks if I just injured an animal.

ANYWAYS . . . the point is, I've had this bow for less than a month and 60 yards is pretty good, I think. Again, I never shot another bow, but hopefully this report helps someone.

By the way, it's true the Katera seems a little heavy but it's not so bad. I'll report after hunting season to tell how I held up lugging it around.

My opinion is . . . don't get stuck trying to figure out what bow is best. Just get one you like and practice, practice, practice. Remember: it is highly likely that you'll only take a few kill shots for the whole year, and lots of practice with even a mediocre bow will serve you better than no practice with the best bow.

Now it's time to practice shooting from awkward positions and from a treestand . . .

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  15. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

The Ultratec is a great bow! I sold mine to my dad and bought an X-force because I am into a lot of 3D and target shooting. That is not to say that the Ultratec cannot perform well in these situations but the extra speed helps me out with my errors while judging distance. Lets just say that when hunting season comes around I just might steal Dad's Ultratec. The benefits are its small size, light weight, and comfort to shoot.

If you do not shoot much except to get ready for hunting season I would say save the money on an upgrade and spend it on new arrows or dressing up the Ultratec, new string, sight, etc. Something just as small as that can make something old seem new again.