Mathews Ovation grip.... To get a grip or not to get a grip ?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Ronhop, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Mathews Ovation...

I'd like a much narrower grip than stock. Does anyone have any useful information on an after market grip like a Shrewd ? Or has anybody shot that bow just using hand-on-riser ? I like the angle of the stock grip, so I'm leaning away from shooting off the riser, but I do not like the width of the grip. After shooting my 82nd now consistently for the past few months the Ovation grip does not feel natural to me any more.

Anyone have any opinions or suggestions ?

Thanks, Ron

2. Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone Senior Member

Two ideas

Dont shoot a grip. Shoot right off the risor like Jeff Hopkins did for many years using friction tape that comes on tennis rackets. It will lengthan your draw.

Shrewd high wrist grips are very popular amoung Mathews bows.
    DB

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I'll try that. The previous owner of that bow must have had the grip off it at some point in time since it's not glued on, it's just more or less a press fit.

I do like the feel of the high grip though. That's where my question was going actually. Riser or high grip basically....

Thanks, Ron

4. rodney482

rodney482 I love this stuff

I shoot nothing but a Shrewd (low heel) on all Mathews

5. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I personally prefer the Mathews stock grip. But I know many who use the Shrewd.

Hey Rodney..............who is that in your avatar? :laugh: :lol: Barney Fife????

6. rodney482

rodney482 I love this stuff

:mod: pull over.

Sir, step away from the water bong