Mathews Ovation

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by JC Engemann, Dec 18, 2006.

1. JC Engemann

JC Engemann Junior Member

I'm getting ready to buy my first bow...any thought on getting a Mathews Ovation? Any other recommendations anyone can think of? I'm in Montana and I want to get into bow hunting for next year's deer and elk season.

Thanks

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Well Howdy and :welcome: to the forum JC.

The Ovation is a very nice shooting bow with its 8 1/8" Brace Height and 40" ATA. But please do not limit yourself to just one bow. You need to get to proshops and shoot several bows and see what feels good to you.

Typically bows with higher brace heights are more forgiving but slower in speed. A more forgiving bow is easier to shoot for a beginner. I personally do not like to shoot a bow with a BH lower than 7" or 7.5". My form is not very good at all. But some guys around here that I shoot with can shoot a bow with a BH of 6" very well.

We could recommend several other bows to you but the bottom line is it needs to feel good to you and not us.

Good luck my friend and have fun. If you need any help at all do not hesitate to ask.:peace:

3. whitetail_hunter_wi

whitetail_hunter_wi Junior Member

Ovation

Worked for the number 4 top Mathews dealer in the US, for three years. I have shooted the Ovation since they came out. Great for hunting, and 3-D shoots. It is a great bow.:peace:

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and where might that be?????

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Are you looking to buy new or used????

are you set on Mathews or are you just in the looking stage???

The Ovation is a good bow but not one of there best in my opinion....
    there was a reason some nick named it SLOWvation....
    great 20 yrd indoor bow but w/the long axle to axle it may not be the greatest hunting bow......ie manuverability

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

If I were just going to buy a bow to hunt with, and I was planning on hunting elk, I would go with something smaller that packs a bigger bang! I've never hunted anything as large as an elk, but I've watched it on TV. They seem to do a lot of stalking. I would look at the .................um................I dunno.............maybe a Switchback!!!!!!:peace: I have 2 :biggrin1:

7. JC Engemann

JC Engemann Junior Member

Thanks for the advice

I appreciate the help...I ended up going to the local archery shop and shot a couple of different bows. I ended up with a sweet deal for a 2005 Hoyt UltraMag w/ arrows, hard case, etc, etc....for only $400. I had the guy at the archery shop check it over and I think I'm set for next season.

The bow still has the orginial Hoyt sights....so I'm going to replace that here after the first of the year. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to practicing and getting a white-tail or mule deer next season.

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

see there are deals to be had.....you just have to look.....

9. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Congrats on the new bow glad to hear you got a great deal. Now enjoy that UltraMag.:peace:

10. I could have not said it any better:peace: