Mathews vs. Bowtech

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by rqthunter, Jun 18, 2007.

1. rqthunter

rqthunter Member

So I'm fairly new to bow hunting. I had a bow as a teenager, but just plinked around. I had always hunted rifle and primitive season, but then killed my first buck 4 years ago with a $300 PSE bow and got hooked--you know what I mean. I bought the first bow at Cabelas that was in in my price range, and then after that first season, I began reading magazines and articles on the internet... you know the drill. Every hunting video I saw seemed to promote Mathews, so I eventually bought a Switchback (last summer). I loved it! Unfortunately, I had to sell if for some unfortunate reasons, and then this spring bought a used Allegiance and now a Guardian by Bowtech. I know there is a lot of brand loyalty in the bow hunting world... much like the Chevy vs. Ford wars I remember my dad arguing about 20 years ago. The fact is they are both unbelievable bows with their own personalities. I love the guardian, but I also love some of the aspects of the switchback. I may even get another one just becasue the draw is so smooth. The guardian and allegiance definetely have the speed advantage - same pin at 10 or 20 yards. So, as a newbie, I say let's just all get a long. It's 2007.... and who would have thought 50 years ago that the Japanese would make the best cars!:amen:

2. pilot

pilot Senior Member

I used to badmouth Fords pretty good in high school and college, as i come from a very loyal Chevy family.....but my '01 Ford Supercrew has been the best truck i've ever owned :doh:

Brand loyalty is amazing to me sometimes. I get the biggest kick out of the guys around here that spout off about how one brand is the best brand out there but when i ask them how many different bows they've tried.....the usual reply is "I've never shot nothin but _____." I ask why.....the usual reply is ""Cause it's the best bow made, my cousin sez so."

:frusty:

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

they are the best.......but its cuz my uncle said so not my cousin:doh: :laugh:

4. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

The Japanese make the best cars?????? :noidea:

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

honda rules:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

6. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Rules!

Mustang rules ask my wife!:rockon:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah???? did you ever get 40-45 miles to the gallon in a mustang???

and them seats are real comfortable........NOT.....:tape:

8. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Gas!

Who cares!
    Your driving a mustang! not a honda!
    I ride a harley! not a honda!
    I dont get the mileage out of my harley eather, who cares!:laugh:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

my empty pockets care.......:noidea:

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Pockets!

Mine arnt empty anymore, my kids are grown!:laugh:
    You just started!

11. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

you cant go wrong with either one. I love my guardian but I wish I could afford to have a switchback to shoot at times too.

rick

12. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I don't know about "better" bows. I have only shot an Alpine and a Mathews And I LOVE my Mathews Switchback XT. I am more concerned about loyalty to my local archery shop than I am the brand of bow I shoot. He has helped me out way too much to even think about shooting anything but a Mathews.:hug: At least until I move away, then I might try something else.:noidea:

13. rqthunter

rqthunter Member

hornet's nest

Talk about hornets nest. It's fun to talk about, though. Speaking of pro shop loyalty... I wish I had a pro shop! We have a Cabelas in my town, but it's usually a 20 year old college student working the bow department---the woes of living in south central Nebraska with too many waterfowl hunters! So I'm turning my garage into my own little shop for me and a few fellow bow hunters. I see in the future a lot of messing up stuff to learn how to do it. For right now, just the basics of tuning. Thank God for you guys who know what you're doing and respond to posts!:peace:

14. pdq 5oh

pdq 5oh Member

Anything that gets 40-45 mpg gets 0 mpg with the chicks.............and is absolutely no fun to drive. :biggrin1:

15. rqthunter

rqthunter Member

Got a switchback today

So I've decided to be the weird one and bought a Switchback again (2007). So, I have a Guardian, Allegiance, and Switchback. Will probably Use the Guard and have the Switch as a backup, and then maybe hang on to the Allegiance to loan to my brothers when they visit for a hunt because it's such a sweet-fast shooter. All that to say that I love both of these bows! Now the fun begins of setting up and tuning another bow:rockon:

Sorry if this is sounding too much like a diary. Uh... yeah....later.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  16. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Ditto on the allegience to the pro shop....I mean really now they didn't give me hell when I dry fired my bow TWICE....Joe just put my string back on and said be careful next time hehe. I give them as much business as I can.

17. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes, agreed, Wheels said it best.

I have a BT Allegiance and a Mathews Ovation. I like them both a lot, but for different purposes... You should go with what feels right to you.

Ron

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you have never owned a late 90's honda accord or civic.....:noidea:

19. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

To me, all the bow companies make great bows. Each bow has its own unique qualities that make it great. One bow is fast, but another is smooth....blah, blah, blah. It is hard for me to place my loyalty with a company based on the attributes of their bows compared to another companies bows.

My loyalties are based on a couple other things. One is the companies attitude towards their average joes. I don't like being treated like a sales figure or a statistic. The other is based on the general attitude of the owners of a companies equipment. Shooters of each bow company seem to adopt a certain attitude that reflects the company itself. If you want to see what I'm talking about, visit a few manufacturers forums and do some reading. Not everyone that shoots a certain bow brand adopts that attitude and there are a lot of great people shooting every brand. However, when you are seen with brand "X" in your hand you are automatically assumed to have the attitude of that brands general populace.

I have chosen to give my loyalty to a company that I believe treats all their customers the same. I have never met anyone associated with that company that wasn't friendly. The company has a long tradition and a great reputation. To me that means more than 15 more feet per second or a lot of advertising......:peace:

20. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

Uh, BOWMAN...... your cousin is your uncle!!! :biggrin1: :peace: :biggrin1: