Mattews Apex.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by gravedigger, Jun 24, 2006.

1. gravedigger

gravedigger Junior Member

Thinking of getting in to 3D competition,i own a switch back 2005 and thinking of picking up an Apex,what are your opinions & experiences.

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I dont know about the Apex as it is a bit heavy....but the shop I go to is pushing a nice black out blue Apex 7 on me pretty hard....not sure he actually pushing.....might be more a case of me wanting....

3. Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone Senior Member

Apex

It is heavy. I just picked it up again for this year. I really like this bow and shoot it well.

Jeff Hopkins shoots one as well.

Very good bow, no speed demon but I have no promblem shooting ASA speeds.

4. KNBodie

KNBodie Junior Member

I would agree that its heavy but that also has some advantages to it.
    The main one being that the weight makesyou hold more stable whether in the wind (outdoor 3d/ target) or indoor 3d or spot. The grip on both apexs is awesome Mathews got these right. Speed is acceptable for asa and nfaa 3d.
    I never had a problem getting mine to shoot 286 (29" 60lbs. 310gr. arrow)
    The one thing I have found w/ the apex and apex 7 (be careful here) they both will group when out of tune. I highly recomend shooting paper as well as stepping back 60 or70 yard in order to watch arrow flight. hope this helps

nate
    p.s. I have a black w/ camo apex fs on AT and should have it posted on here later today

5. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I thought my A7 was heavy too when I first got it. Now after shooting it a while, I have actually added some dawg weights to the stabilizers to get the balance right.

I haven't actually put it on the scale yet but it hold real steady:thumb:

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I like the Apex 7 a little more because of the weight but they are both excellent bows. I am a little steadier with the A7 than the Apex. But if someone wanted to buy me either one I would not complain.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I think I will put a down payment on that Apex 7 this week....I am addicted and I cant help it.....:biggrin1:

8. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Gravedigger, what's your draw length. If your draw length challenged, lean to the Apex 7. If your shooting 29 or 30" the Apex is a great bow and fast enough for 3D at these lengths.

9. gravedigger

My draw lenght is 27.5".

10. JBUTLER

JBUTLER Senior Member

Go with the Apex 7 without question!! They built that bow for you!!

11. gravedigger

Explain why,i would be using easton light speed arrows what spine should i use,my swithchback is 70lb 27.5" draw with a estoa lightspeed 400.

12. JBUTLER

JBUTLER Senior Member

I feel the Apex is ideal for someone with over a 29" draw because of the string angle, or the way the string comes into your face, and because of the speed issues. Then came along the Apex 7 which I feel they built for the 27"-28"- 29" approx. draw length. Shorter axle to axle for a better string angle for a shorter person and speed isn't really an issue. Finally the Prestige, probably built for the 24"-27" draw length, or shorter, with the same advantages as the Apex and Apex 7. Hope this helps!! This is mainly from a 3D point of view, indoor may change things a little!!

13. BryanG

BryanG Junior Member

Apex 7

I to have an 05 switchback and I just picked up an Apex7 so I can start shooting the "open" class. It is a totally different bow and a different way of shooting, but I am liking it so far. Go with the apex 7. They are starting to show up used now and if you are like me and cannot afford $1200 for a bare bow plus target accessories a used one will save you some cash. Only bad thing is NO warranty!