MeanV Doubles out of Double Bull in Nebraska

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by MeanV2, Dec 21, 2007.

1. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

Just got back home from a late season hunt in far Northwestern Nebraska. I headed out there to chase late season Mulies and hoped to get a crack at a Merriam gobbler. There was 7" to 9" snow on the ground and temps ranged from lows below zero to highs up around 20, although one day the high was only 12 degrees. I picked up a Fall Turkey tag because I knew from previous hunts the rough weather would put the Turkeys in where I would be hunting. I shot this Gobbler 1st day out, and even though the tag I got was good for 2 Turkeys I opted to only kill one. I also had Turkeys all around me on another day. I will be back out there in the Spring to Chase Gobblers again. Believe it or not I heard Several Turkeys Gobbling while I was there The Double Bull was a great asset hunting in the cold and windy conditions. My Guardian as has been the case this whole season performed flawlessly.

Dan

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

The Mule Deer were plentiful, hunting all day there was never a time that I could not sit and watch Mule Deer at some distant. I was seeing 40 to 60 deer per day and at least 15 or more different bucks per day. The Buck I ended up taking I had passed a marginal shot on the first day. There were a lot of the bucks that were pretty busted up and on the second day I witnessed why, I saw 2 old busted up Warriors go at it only 60 yards from me. I have seen bucks shoving each other around several times in my hunting experiences, but never had I witnessed a fight like these 2 Mulie Bucks engaged in Snow & Fur flying, and Antlers cracking. On the 3rd day at 12:55 PM I had a shot I ranged at 36 yards and was able to slide an arrow in. He was with some Does and was doing a darn good job of keeping his vitals covered by at least one doe. Whoops!! He paused and was clear for just a couple of seconds giving me the chance I needed to get an arrow in his Vitals. He was the best Buck I had seen in over 20 hours in the Double Bull and once again My Guardian performed flawlessly when called on to propel the arrow. I was a Happy Bowhunter when I walked up on him. The only remorse I was having was I was out of Nebraska Mule Deer tags until next year

Dan

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010

3. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

Nice job Dan.
    Did you go with an outfitter?

4. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Congrats --- other than it beeing cold, looks like it was a great time.

Great Pictures!!!:thumb:

5. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Yea, what he said. Outfitter, public hunting?:noidea:

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

nice.....glad to see you finally connected.....

7. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

Private ground but no guide. It's a Great thing I found. So far I have Killed 2 Merriams and 2 Mulie Bucks on the Ranch. I'm headed back out in the spring for Turkeys and the Fall for Mulies again next year. Over the counter Tags, Nebraska is hard to beat and so is the Pine Ridge Area:cool:

Dan

8. jimposten

jimposten Senior Member

SweetDan, you mind if I throw the pic on my website?

JIM

9. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

Be my guest Jim:biggrin1: You noticed that stabilizer, Huh?:cool:

Dan

10. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

Congrats Dan! :thumb:

I bet you were cold! Dang! The blinds do help keep you warm though.

rick

11. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

Nice trophy's Dan! One of these days I am going to try this Mulie hunting thing...

12. silbowhunter

silbowhunter Junior Member

Thanks for sharing the pic's Dan.

Snow what's that ? :D

13. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Nice! congrats on a successful hunt

14. rodney482

rodney482 I love this stuff

15. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

great job!

Nice turkey and muley, great and done it with a bow.:biggrin1:
    Somethin 2 be proud of.:wave:

16. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Congratz on the successul hunt. nice lookin bird and deer

17. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

Congrats, but you ain't scaring anyone in those sunglasses.

Turkeys in the snow, :censored: that!

Congrats again!

18. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

Ah Come on Slip! You can do better than that:lol: The sunglasses were functional in the bright snow and part of the Ninja gear in the Blind:cool: Just forgot they were on when it came time for pics.
    I was surprised the Nebraska wind didn't grab my arrows. I saw that happen to someone once.
    At least that's what he said:cool:

You ever hear anything like that Slip?:biggrin1:

Dan