Mechanical Broadheads

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by savagebandit, Jul 7, 2008.

1. savagebandit

savagebandit New Member

:frusty: I'm a little new to archery. I have been shooting 100Gr field points about 6 weeks. I want to try some broadheads. Should a newbee start out with mechanicals and work his way up or just do like Michael Jordan and go with the non-mechanical heads. Inquiring minds want to know?:noidea:

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I personally like a fixed blade broadhead but hey that's just me. Alot of guys shoot mechanicals and have great success. The main obstical you will have to overcome is to make sure your bow is in proper tune for whatever broadhead you decide to shoot. It's really personal preference...:noidea: My best advice would be not to buy broadheads just because there cheap. Spend a little more and get a good quality broadhead and you won't be disapointed.:rockon:

3. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

I just can't bring myself to use mechanicals either; Fiddle gave you a good answer.

4. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

1 vote for mechanicals if you use a good quality like rockets if you go cheap with mechanical or fixed you we be sorry :Cry:
    I shoot the rocket mini blaster 75 gr.with 2'' vanes and can tell you I have never lost a deer with them in ten years of shooting them don't knockem till you try them :wave:

5. savagebandit

savagebandit New Member

Thanks for the advice. My next task is to pick out a set. Do you prefer two blades or three?

6. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I like the 3 blade models.....:noidea:

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I have been using NAP Spitfire 100gr 3 blade expandables for the last 3 seasons and I have not had an issue with losing a blade in flesh or not having a blade open.

But having said that I have hunting buddies that use fixed blade broadheads to good use as well...

Ron

8. trophyhill

trophyhill New Member

first time bow hunter

good information guys. i too am knew to bowhunting. i bought a martin firecat and am starting out with 100 grain field tips. will 100 grain be sufficient to bring down an elk? also, wich broadheads closest match the flight of my field tips. and what do you mean when you say a finely tuned bow. are you talking about the sights?:noidea:

9. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

I've used thunderheads with good results, (deer in the freezer). My two complaints are: A) I had to sharpen new blades to get the edge I like, and B) retuning my bow every fall for whitetail. Reason "B" is why I switched to Atom razor wire broadheads. No retuning, and no complaints on blood trails. So far, 3 for 3 deer in the freezer with the Atom. I'm sold.

10. red44

red44 Senior Member

Make sure you can use an expandable where and what you plan to hunt.
    Finely tuned bow (for hunting anyway), when your fixed blade broadheads have the same POI as your fieldpoints. Not everyone can tune well enough to do it, but at the minimum, you want the tightest groups possible. It's not just the sights, it also includes the rest, nockpoint, cam position, etc. But one step at a time.

11. red man

red man New Member

i like expandable 3 blade i get mine at wal mart they are talon cudas 100 gr got 5 deer with them all oped up grate they run about $25.00 or #30.00 for 3 of them i also use a martin :rockon:

12. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

I personally prefer fixed broadheads. Don't get me wrong, there are great Mech. Broadheads also. Of these I like the rage. But I'm probabaly partial 'cause I'm "ol School" Make sure the weight of the broadheads match the weight of you field points.

As far as a properly tuned bow.

I like to consider it as a two phase thing. The first being the physical tuning of the bow itself. Cam timing, lean... proper string length, proper ATA and till. etc.

And then the personal bow tuning. Correct Draw length, draw weight. arrow size and weight. nock placement. correct peep placement. center of arrow, sights properly set in and sighted in properly. The things that make the physically tuned bow your personal bow of choice.

To have a properly tuned bow you must have both the physical aspects and the personal aspects of the bow working together. Either out of wack and you are fighting and up-hill battle.

And the hardest part of tuning is yourself. and that is ONLY done thru practise, practise, practise. Without which the most finally tuned bow "ain't worth squat"

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  13. savagebandit

savagebandit New Member

That's great advice. I guess what I'm cautious about is slicing my finger with a Broadhead, on the release. Should I wear a glove, on my bow hand or I will get otta that feeling once I pulled to trigger and start using them:noidea:

14. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

When you properly grip the bow, there is more than enough clearence. When you have arrows cut (and get the proper length) you can see where the tips will be at and if you want, cut them a little longer. Just make sure the weight and spline are correct for you DL and DW. You'll be fine.

15. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

mechanicals then.

I'm not new to archery and I shoot mechanicals. But was shooting fixed for a long time until last year. The accuracy is impressive and they are easy to tune cause there usually isn't any tuning at all as long as your field tips are flying mostly stray8.

16. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Tekans or rage are the only mechanicals I shoot, dirt simple, and they work. I'm not a fan of over the top expandables, field point accuracy w/o much if any tuning. I will shoot expandables until I find something better.......:bowl: If your not shooting over 280 you probally wont notice a great deal of difference with fixed blades. When you start pushing the speed up around and over 280fps and 30+yard shots you really see the effects of fixed blades.

17. savagebandit

savagebandit New Member

I'm going to purchase rage. I like the looks of them and grim reaper.

18. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

Tough to beat the old spitfires!

Id shoot a slick trick if I had to shoot a fixed blade.

19. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yep, I like my Spitfires.

Ron

20. ldavis512

ldavis512 Junior Member

I shot 100 gr spitfires for a few yaers and just last year switched to 100 gr 3 blade rage. totally worth it! You will not be disappointed with the rage!