Mechanical or Fixed blade broadhead

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Chris, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Mechanical/Expandable Broadhead

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Fixed Blade Broadhead

30 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Just wondering what percentage of people shoot mechanicals or fixed blade broadheads.Please to turn this a into a broadhead bashing thread. Just state which one you shoot.

2. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

OK, I won't bash. I'll just say that I always used fix blade heads as I don't shoot enough weight to justify mechanicals. That along with the fact that I pride myself on my tuning ability. I have never shot a head that I could not get to tune and group at least as good as my filed points, and often times better.

3. foamhunter

foamhunter Junior Member

I shoot NAP Thunderhead fixed blades. I just don't feel confident with the reliability of expandables, but that is just my own gut feeling about them.

4. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Member

I used fixed in the past but here lately, 4-5 yrs, I have been intrigued with the mechanicals. I only whitetail hunt and the mechanicals have done and excellent job in harvesting deer. I get complete pass throughs and always have a good blood trail. Really, no problems ever incountered with using mechanicals on whitetails.

5. Sportsman

Sportsman Member

Rockets (Steel Heads I think)

Seem to do the trick 4 me. If I were any cheaper and felt like sharpening them I would re-use them, they are very durable and always pass through. Shot a doe at least a 45 degree quartering away Sunday and it passed through and stuck in the dirt. I think they "feel" the shot (and run) alot more with mechanicals though. Don't remember the brand (Steel Force) maybe but when I shot a deer with this fixed blade the deer literally did not know it had been shot. It turned around, looked at the deer behind it as if it touched it or something, then kept grazing for about 10 seconds, and finally :eek: fell over.

6. Pinky

Pinky Senior Member

Steel Force 100gr Sabertooths, Barrie Archery's Rocky Mtn. Supreme XP, and Zwickie Black Diamonds for me this year.

7. jacksondk2s

jacksondk2s Junior Member

I have never used mecanicals but I am going to give them a try. I bought a new bow back in nov last year and this is its first hunting year. I am not real impressed with current fixed broadheads that I am using. (Muzzy 100). They do not seem to fly anywhere near like my target points. I have heard nothing bad about mechanicals. I always hear they fly just like target points. Anyone have any input on that?

8. 383bull

383bull Junior Member

I have used sst jackhammers, and for the last two years nap spitfire xp pro series mechanicals, they don't have the o'rings on them and I have never had a problem, I shot an elk this year with them, complete pass through, bull went down within 50 yards, last year I hit a bull with a muzzy 4 blade 1oo grain, again complete pass through but a little far back, the bull went a long ways, with the mechanical I used this year I believe that bull would have expired alot sooner, they put such a big hole in the animal, but I do believe you need to be close to 60 ft lbs for whitetail and even more for bigger game,
    I will use them on elk for now on.

9. bird

bird Junior Member

fixed blades to the rescue

i have tried them all. lots of $ tied up in braodheads. i always fall back to fixed blades. rate muzzy 3 blades #1 and thunderheads just behind them, but not by much.

10. tyshe17

tyshe17 Junior Member

fixed blades

I am using Muzzys this year, and on the three deer I have shot at they worked great (1 arrow, new blades each time, always a pass through). None have gone more than 50 yds.

11. Wolverine

Wolverine Junior Member

Broadheads

I've shot both type heads this past year, Rocket Mini Blaster 3L, Grim Reapers, Muzzy 100 gr. 3 blades and 100 gr. Innerloc 3 blades. I lost a nice buck with a muzzy, shot was to high, but he was seen two weeks later by a friend of mine chasing a doe so he is still alive. The shots with the Innerloc and Muzzy later in the year are in the freezer!
    I shot two doe's with mechanicals, lost both never to be seen again. I will stay with fixed blade heads. I personally do not think expandables are sharp enough. I have a ceramic S-3 hone for three blade heads, and I can get them scary sharp.
    Muzzy came out with a new head this year called the MX4, kind of the same size other bullet heads. I may give them a whirl this coming year. Just my 2 cent!

12. Sportsman

Sportsman Member

2 out of 5 deer Harvested?

That is what gives bow hunters a bad name! We need as much practice as possible. Shoot plenty of 3-d's, they wont run off wounded if you miss the kill zone. What weight are you pulling? You may not have enough energy to get a pass thru with mechanicals. I have cleanly killed every deer that I hit this year (mucho) with mechanical's (Rocket-steelhead 100s) most of which didn't make it 50 yds.Shoot them in the lungs or heart at and angle that you will get either both lungs or lung/heart combo.

13. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Rocket Mini-Blasters expandables, has always come thru for me:D

MoBowman ```---------->

14. PSE4LIFE

PSE4LIFE Junior Member

I started shooting a new fixed blade broadhead called the Wac'em and love them they fly great at 50 yds and helped me take my 142" 9pt this year.Tried Muzzys,Wasp jakhammers,wasp boss.....just seem to like fixed blade but sot some does with jakhammers dropped them in there tracts....john wayne

15. Next Ridge Over

Next Ridge Over Member

I shot fixed blades for years. Mechanicals for 3 years. Back to fixed blade for-ever. Unless my setup gives me :argue:

16. ultramax

ultramax Junior Member

Those are my favorite too. Killed this one this year with Eastmen wal-mart cheapies.

17. dsb

dsb Guest

Broad head use

I am using the First Cut 125 by Carbon Express, the fly the same as my field points, therefore no changes are made to go from practice to feild.
    :)

18. fastltz

fastltz Junior Member

I really like the muzzy's they fly very straight, however for turkey i will use mech's for the larger cut.

19. CoyoteHunter

CoyoteHunter Member

I used NAP Thunderhead 125 grain for 10+ years tryed NAP spitfire 2 years ago and hit a doe in the sholder and 2 of the 3 blades broke off :mad: the arrow still got 1 lung and i found her after a 5 hour wait and about 250 yard track i wont use them again last year i tryed CRIMSON TALON and took 3 deer 2 does and a 8 point none i had to track over 65 yards :) so i will stay with fixed blades

20. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

Rocket Sidwinder 100 Gr. For me I LOVE'um.:)