Michigan Baiting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by jdawg240, Aug 26, 2008.

1. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

Just read all the press releases this morning. ALL BAITING IS NOW BAINED IN THE LOWER PENNISULA!!!! WOW!!!!!!! They found one captive deer in southern lower pennisula with CWD and now have bained all forms of feeding or baiting wildlife! This should be interesting !

2. at least its a good reason for banning it, you don't want that stuff to spread.

3. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

the bad part of it is that they are already selling it and all the places that do sell it will continue to sell it anyway.

4. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

we can always hit the up!

5. fstgstdsmpay

fstgstdsmpay Adam of Archery Outfitter

Where is the link to this its not on the DNR website that I found. We have not been baiting for years now but my neighbor baits ike crazy

6. elkcrazy

elkcrazy New Member

Hey Jdawg where did you see the baiting ban? I see they found a captive case of CWD, but nothing on baiting. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a ban, but I know plenty of people who will cry about it.

7. fstgstdsmpay

They sell bait in states that it is banned to baiting, but its still illegal to use it

8. fstgstdsmpay

Just Called the DNR and confirmid it NO BAITING IN THE LOWER PENINSULA :peace:

9. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

Well whether you are for it or against it this will put a dent in the Mom and Pop shops that sell bait to help them get through the year. This is just one more dent in Michigans economy.

10. fstgstdsmpay

Yeah but in all reality we sold corn at are shop last year and it sucked we didnt make squat off of it. Just got people in the store

11. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

Yeah I know there may not be a high profit margin in it, but it is enough to keep someone on a fixed income going. It just took a reason away for me to stop.

12. kebees4

kebees4 New Member

What about food plots? That is baiting. Nothing wrong with putting it out or sitting by a fruit tree as bait. Whats the difference of a food plot or a pile of corn.

13. I missed

I missed Senior Member

this will not stop many people from baiting, im not to worried about it except that it makes trail cam pics alot harder to get

14. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

Food plots are not considered feeding or baiting :noidea: .

I know this is probably for the best, but the economic value will be huge. There are farmers that just grow feed, and truckers that will loose hauling contracts, Mom and Pop stores that will loose revenue, etc. This will probably go into the 100's of millions in economic damage.

15. elkcrazy

elkcrazy New Member

I agree with you Slice. It will be a big hit on some of the smaller places, especially up north. With gas prices up, more people are already staying down south to hunt. This will probably put a real hurt on the small places that have dump truck loads out front. Don't expect it to get any better around here any time soon, either...

16. fstgstdsmpay

Food Plots are not considered baiting. Although it is. Its just something you had to grow for the purpose of attracting deer. No one is saying you can hunt over corn. You just have to grow it yourself.

100's of millions I think not its not that big of an industrie there is les than a million hunters in MI and I dont know one person that puts out 100 dollars worth of bait. Yes it will hurt the little guy but in the long run I think it will be a good thing for are deer herd.

17. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

It is the trickle down effect. People will not make the 3 or 4 extra trips up to put out bait. This means the local economy will not have all those people eating in the restaurants or staying in the motels. The Northern Michigan economy is so fragile. Talk to the farm market owners in Northern Michigan, they make upwards of $75,000 a year on bait used for hunting and recreational feeding. Then add the mineral supplements like salt licks which are now also banned. The farmers that just grow carrots and sugar beets for baiting.

I know the old saying if you throw corn on the ground it is baiting, but if you cover it with dirt you are making a food plot.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  18. fstgstdsmpay

NO I agree with you, it does hurt the little guy thats for sure. I know I have a house in Lake City I know how bad the economy is there, and across the entire state for that matter. Thats why im working in CT right now. But what I want are northern michigan deer herd to bounce back, I have a few places up there were we see good deer, but the vast majority of hunting land that we used to hunt 20 years ago yields very poor numbers. I think this is going to take pressure off of those areas and the yearlings that could pounded year after year and let the area develop. And the last thing you want is an outbreak of another deer virus in MI

19. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

I got a call from a solid scource yesterday that this was coming. :peace:

20. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

This no doubt will help the deer population. At least now the 1 1/2 year old bucks and buttons have a better chance of surviving.