moose hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by deb, Apr 2, 2008.

1. deb

deb New Member

hope to get my first moose tag this year .'I am shooting a Hoyt cybertec 60 pound bow with a 27 inch draw.I am using razerback broadheads,just wandering if this setup is ok for moose

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I have never shot at a moose but I am sure a well placed shot with a good sharp broadhead and a heavy arrow will work just fine...:noidea: I am not familiar with the razorback broadheads are they a fixed blade head?:noidea:

3. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Happy Hunting!! We want pics if you get one :wave:

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Should work fine if you get a good shot placement.

Bullfiddle, the NAP Razorbacks are a fixed 4 blade cut on contact that spin on an arbor
    [​IMG]

5. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

That looks like it should work....:noidea:

6. my3sons&I

my3sons&I New Member

It will work just fine. Big shoulder and big kill zone on these guys. Wait for the foreleg to stride forward to avoid the shoulder and it will go right thru. Oh ya sometimes they like to charge once you stick em so carry your side arm. Guy at my work was driven into the mud last year after he shot one with his bow!

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I just can't see how killing a moose would pay off... they are big, slow, and dumb. I could have gotten close enough to stab one last year in Maine and they aren't overly hard to track...

enjoy getting it out of the woods too :laugh:

8. UPSTATE

UPSTATE Member

I would give anything to go on a moose hunt. Except the 5 grand it costs. Kids going to College ya know.

9. my3sons&I

my3sons&I New Member

Dare ya to try it. I'll film it and put it on you tube . You have to either quarter them and back pack them out or you drag them out with a atv. During the rut they are chasing cows and very aware of the human in the woods. When did you see them in the summer when the knats drive them to the road side for some relief? Go ahead and take them for granted like this guy did.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHu8KNRZ0bg

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Just cause you had a bad expierience with a MOOSE...:tape: Don't hate...:D

I've heard hunting moose is tough you wouldn't think a 1500# horse with a truck bumper on his head could get through the thick like they do...
    I can only imagine a shot in BOW RANGE would be twice as difficult to get...
    A friend of mine said you can smell them before you see them that's how thick they like it...:frusty:

11. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Good luck, I hope you draw a tag. A moose hunt sure sounds like a good time. Don't forget to take a good bug suit.

12. Keefer22

Keefer22 New Member

Your rig will work fine on moose. I shot a shiras with a 60 lb bow. It went 40 yards and was dead in probably 30 seconds. Shot placement is important.