Moving to Wisconsin Please help

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by IAHunter11, Feb 7, 2008.

1. IAHunter11

IAHunter11 Member

I am moving to Wisconsin soon Near Madison.. Anyone know of any good public land to hunt near the area?? The help would be apriciated.. Or does anyone in the area need a hunting buddy... I don't know anyone there... I didn't want to leave my hunting land but the ol lady got a pretty good job offer so I have to go... Please help

2. SinGin

SinGin Banned

I wouldn't move man, I hear it's cold up there this time of year.

3. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

hope this helps

the state dnr sight would have all the information you need. here is a link to it or the address http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/

4. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Kickapoo river wildlife area would be acouple hourdrive. Supposed to be the only place in wisconsin to have achance to hunt wildhogs. Sorry thats the only first hand info I have on public hunting. I come from a big family and most of us hunt so bringing someone else in isn't possible. Sorry. And it ain't that cold.:biggrin1:

5. Timmer

Timmer Member

Check the DNR site. They have a link to public land with a cool map system. You can turn on certain "layers" including aerial images. Check the link. You can click on the general area and it'll zoom in. Just do this till you find an area you like.

You can also do a search on the DNR site for MFL (managed forest land) & FCL (forest crop land). Those are goverment programs that allow the landowner to pay lower taxes but allow public access. However that system is full of people and even corporations cheating the public. Tigerton Lumber has been doing this for years and the State finally came down on them. Now they are taking all their land out of the programs. From what I hear they will either lease the properties or log it off and sell them. Many hard feelings over this issue.

Another option is to look into farmers that get agricultural tags (aka Crop Damage Permits). By rule they must allow at least 2 hunters per 40 huntable acres). But here again I find more farmers cheating the system than following the rules. You MUST get permission from them and sign in and out of the logbook.

http://dnrmaps.wisconsin.gov/imf/imf.jsp?site=mgdlands

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/reclands/

6. goldflinger

Just a little info, might help save some time. MFL is divided into 2 different classes. Land open to public hunting and land not open to public hunting.

7. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

Just eat lots of cheese and keep root root rooting for the VIKINGS!

8. goldflinger

:lol:
    :lol: :lol: :lol: You funny.:laugh: :crazy:

9. Hook Em

I like those purple and gold smilies :biggrin1:

10. goldflinger

Wisconsin state colors are greeeeeen and goooooold.:rockon:

11. Hook Em

:puke: what a horrible combo!

12. goldflinger

Ididn't relize you were from project runway.

13. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

i think there is some sort of deportation or something for viking cheering in this state.

14. Timmer

Timmer Member

You are correct and that classification can be changed at any time. There are limits on how often the landowner can change it. Make sure you are current on the specific program the property is in. Best to contact the landowner if at all possible. The problems come from the corporations that create LLC's to own the land. Then they can have more than the acreage limit in the program. Some have also leased the land at the same time as having it in the program.

15. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

just curious...

are you gonna change your username? :decision:

16. IAHunter11

IAHunter11 Member

I will wait until I shoot bigger deer up there then i have shot here.. I am going to still hunt in iowa b.c I have a lot of land with good deer here.. Just have to pay the overpriced out of state fee's