**MUST READ**...The curse is broke

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Werd, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Werd

Werd Senior Member

so lets say here. this morning im getting out of my treestand and heading home when this one antlered buck comes running at me. i get him to stop moving so fast and he turns dead broadside and is still trotting. i let the arrow fly and it goes right infront of him. so now and counting im 0/7 on shots. then to add this it really erks me...so i go home and im thinking. I just happended to remember my neighbor has a X bow that he s had for 4 years and only ever shot it 1 time and never touched since then. so i ask him to borrow it for this afternoon kuz im tired of missing with the compound. so around 11 30ish im sighting it in and i look up above the trees and get to thinking about all them buzzards flying around. so i get some broadheads and go up there to see if i did hit that buck but there was no blood. So here it is. Me and my 8 year old neighbor friend. we are walking in the woods and BLAM outta nowhere 3 doe jump up and run about 10 yards. theres a little bank infront of where to creek is and im waist high in this creek and i happen to spot one of them lil guys sitting there. i take the safety off and let the arrow fly. double lunged and heart shot. she ran about 70 yards and tumbled over. Let me tell you here. ive never seen so much blood from a bow. it looked like sumbody took red paint and threw it all over the woods. so now im 1/8 on shots AND FINALLY GOT ONE!!!...ps(the only reason im using a Xbow is because IMMMMM out of arrows for the compound)...:bored: :laugh:

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

dude it sounds to me like you are getting buck fever and not taking good shots......

3. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Glad to hear you put one in the freezer. Get you some more arrows and keep practicing with your bow. The most important advice I can give you when hunting with a bow is to never rush your shot....just my $.02:D

4. Werd

Werd Senior Member

i have no idea what im doing. I think im jerkin the trigger instead of steady pull. :Cry: i had the same problem with a shotgun til i realized that i missed 10 shots at a herd of deer. so then i just took my time. I think monday im using the compound and gonna get one in range and do everything i do when im shooting at the target...maybe this will help:noidea:

5. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Sounds like you need to hit the bails for awhile...
    and pick your shots alittle better...

Ditch that X-gun and get a bow kill...:censored:

6. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

In my book yore still 0/8
    anybody can shoot a rifle at deer and hit em
    Yore takin all tha fun out of archery
    I konw you'll enjoyed tha x shot and I hope ya enjoy tha deer as well
    not cracking on ya
    just wishin' they'ed leave tha x bows in with smokepoles(Muzzleloaders)
    Keep shootin tha bow
    Try more practice and make sure tham broadheads are tuned up real good. or they will fly crazy if yore shootin' fixed heads.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

have to agree about the X-gun comments

8. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

THE SAME GOES HERE!!! If you're not too old or disabled, then get a compound or get in with the gunners!!!:amen:

and if you are an x gunner and you want to change my mind :lalala: :lalala: :lalala: I can't here you.

9. Werd

Werd Senior Member

well when your 0/7 on shots its kinda nerve rackin. i had to put one down with something. but the best part was i wasnt in a t stand. i was on the ground stalking nd it was my first ever stalk kill.

10. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Yeah, kind of sounds like you need to take some more practice time and make sure everything is dialed in. We all miss once in awhile and occasionally make a bad shot. If I was 0/7 I would not go back in the woods until I knew my bow was properly tuned and sighted in and I had the confidence that I could ring a deer up at 20 yards.

11. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

I'm not sure that walking through the woods and having a deer jump up and then stop 15 yards away would qualify with most as a stalk? As far as I know a stalk is when you see a deer and then get within range without getting busted.

12. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

I'll have to agree with smokes. it is a great feeling when you get your first deer with a bow. when all your skill and practice comes together. then you can say you are a bow hunter. I have nothing against X bows. they have a place in the hunting field. but not in archery. am glad you got a deer. practice and work thur you problem. I'm sure you can become a good bow hunter.

13. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

u took 10 shots at a herd of deer?!? :censored: :censored:

14. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Yep!

My thoughts exactly!:biggrin1:

15. Werd

Werd Senior Member

For 1. not my first deer with a bow. I got 3 already with a compound and 1 with a X-bow. 2. Yes i did take 10 shots at a herd of about 70 ( im really becoming to hate shotguns ) 3. I think i have to many pins. I Have 4 on now. im going to take all them off and use only 1 and its going to be my yellow so its brighter 4. My bow is zeroed in I just think im not taking my time and just wanting to kill and not scoping everything in right. Just my thoughts

16. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

You missed 70 deer 10 times with a shotgun...

Ever hear of aim small miss small...

17. Werd

Werd Senior Member

Ever hear of not much practice=not good aim?...you dont even know the story.............................

18. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Don't need to hear the story... I've heard a hundred just like it...
    You owe it to the animal to make a good shot and a clean kill...

How far away were they??? After the first shot or 2 they were probably on the run and 10 shots w/ a shotgun means you had to reload...

I could spend all day debating ethical hunting habits with you...but I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person...

19. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

What he said!!!!!!!!!:frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

20. Huya

Huya Senior Member

Wasn't there, didn't see the shot. Don't know the real situation. Only going on what he posted. Sounds like he drew and tried to fire to quickly. But to fire 10 shots with a shotgun into a herd of deer, and miss. is just plain a lousy shot.
    And again wasn't there, don't know the distance he was trying to shoot. But you can sure think of ethical questions which may or may not be valid depending on what the real situation was. Personally I wouldn't of posted. But that is my personal Opinion.