My 2 cents and some questions (sorry wrong section at first)

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by piethon, Sep 18, 2007.

1. piethon

piethon Member

Well, I have been in the market for a new bow for awhile now but wanted to give both the big 2 (Mathews and Bowtech) a fair shake. It took me a while to locate a Bowtech dealer. Finally today I found one. After shooting the Guardian I have to say that I was not impressed at all. I did love that there was no hand shook and that it was quiet as a whisper. The draw cycle killed it for me. It seemed like the draw weight was hard all the way up to the wall, which made it feel very jumpy, and unstable. When I explained this to the tech he recommended shooting the Tribute with smooth mods. Much Much Much BETTER (for my liking anyways).

So holt it right there, just when you thought this was a Bowtech bash!!!! I went to the Mathews dealer and shoot the Drenalin. It felt the same. Very jump and like it was so very close to lunging forward at any second. This tech says “well maybe you would like the Switchback XT”. I shot it and loved it.

So now I am torn and could use some help. It is probably going to be either the Tribute or the Switchback XT. So no! this is not were I ask which is better because I know it is up to what I like, and what feels good to me….Bla Bla.

I would like to know:
    1. Is there such a thing as smooth mods for the Guardian?
    2. I know that there are timing marks on the Tribute cams. Do you not have to worry about cam timing on the Switchbacks solo cam?
    3. How often do you need to adjust the timing on the Tribute, or do they pretty much stay put?
    4. What is the advantage of the bianary cams on the bowtechs.

Thanks to everyone in advanced!

2. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

1- I don't know?:D

2-Generally once they are set, and the string settles, assuming your using a stable string, (not factory) they're good to go. They should (I think) have timing marks on the cam too.

3-Same as above once you set them they're pretty good to go.

4- The Binary cams are slaved together, so they really can't go out of synch. I don't the physics behind it, but I know that's the beauty of binary. Before I learned about the Binary system I worried alot about timing, and stayed away from dual cams all together. I shoot an '06 tribute, and the timing marks have stayed right on the money.

Hope this helps,
    Ben

3. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Senior Member

go shoot the Hoyt vectrix... i sold my XT and bought a Hoyt ... :laugh:

4. IAKSmith

IAKSmith Junior Member

How old was the Guardian that you shot? When they first came out, they did pull allot different that the ones that are being made now. Don't know what they did to them but your description of the Guardian that you shot sounds allot like the first ones that came out. I have a Guardian and shot the Tribute and Allegence before I bought it. There wasn't that much of a difference. Good luck on your choice and buy what feels good to you.

5. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

1. I do not know
    2. No a single cam does not need to be time I think you only time dual cams I think.
    3. Binary cams are slaved together. The are dual cams, if one cable stress. Will that not throw it out of time?
    4. Speed
    5. I am still learming every day some thing new.
    6. They are both good bows.

6. piethon

piethon Member

Yeah that could be it was a small shop that looks like they do not get much business.

7. Timmer

Timmer Member

There is only 1 type of mod for the Guardian. At least that was the case when I bought mine and I've not heard anything about smoother mods being available. The draw cycle was a bit different for me, but now I don't even notice it. The Tribute with smooth mods felt better on the draw as compared to the Guardian. But the Guardian was just such a great shooter. I was not impressed at all by Mathews Drenalin or Switchback. The HCA Iron Mace felt much like the Drenalin in my hand, but I thought the Mace shot much better. It's also a bit faster with all things considered. To each his own. Everyone has their own personal preferences. I'm sure you'll pick a good one.

8. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I was in the same boat last year, I loved the XT and Tribute. But I finally bought the XT it just felt better to me. As for the Timing you do have timing holes on the XT cam.

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Single cams need to be timed for cam rotation.....:frusty: :frusty:

10. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

AS far as specs go the tribute and the XT are basically the same bow. I dont know anything about the guardian but I know from experience that you cant go wrong with either the tribute or the xt. I so think the tribute is a little faster if that matters at all.

11. QSA

12. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

3-in a sense they can go out of spec, but they will both go out together keeping them in time. :dizzy: I think.

6-I'm with Bunny on the cam timing. It's the timing of the rotation.

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

14. QSA

Because that is what every one is going to call it so why not. lol

15. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

:laugh: funny.

16. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

on another note-

Forgive me if you already know this, just trying to help. :biggrin1:

That's considered the valley of the bow/cams. A short valley feels like if you relax even a little it will pull your arm out of the socket. A big, or wide valley allows a little creep. I'm only telling you this so if you read a bow review, and they talk about "valley" you'll have an appreciation for what the bow feels like. It seems like an important characteristic to you, as it is for me. But I like the short, jump out of my hand valley, it keeps my form in check. :D

Good luck in your decision, they're both great bows!

Ben

17. QSA

Boy you are not kidding. I have one if you get a little Lazy boy there it goes.

18. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Do yourself a favor(SHOOT A HOYT)

I shoot a trykon now and almost switched to the vectrix this year, do yourself a favor and shoot one before you buy a mathews or blowtech!! I'm waiting till the 08 hoyts show up!!

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and if you would really like to be suprized, go shoot a Pearson Z34.......if you can find one, you will be very suprized......:amen:

20. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Wait until the '08s come out. :peace: I wouldn't buy a new bow this late in the year. You'll see all the new stuff Nov. 1.