My favorite Practice method...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by MagnifiedFur, Sep 1, 2008.

1. MagnifiedFur

MagnifiedFur Team 6

Ill post mine,please post yours so we can all learn...Thanks ~James

My favorite practice...Make sure you are close enough to the target til you feel comfortable...

Step 1 = I take the sites off my bow...
    Step 2 = mark the floor with a can or something my feet can feel...
    Step 3 = Turn off the lights
    Step 4 = start picturing your form in your head...
    Step 5 = start thinking of anchoring, breathing and slow squeezing...
    Step 6 = Shoot,shoot,shoot,shoot,shoot,shoot,shoot...

It takes time,but you can start slapping arrows together in total darkness...I start at about 20 feet...This takes the focus off of what you see and puts it on what and how you feel...It is great for getting good releases,because your not worried about a target...It is also a great timing method....When you train in the dark,you un-train your eye and brain...

I do it for fun,it helps keep me fresh and shooting good...

2. PA.JAY

PA.JAY New Member

Great ! something to try for sure ..

3. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

Shoot sitting down/kneeling. Don't know why it helps, but it was harder for me when I first started and I seem to be shooting better overall now.

4. MagnifiedFur

MagnifiedFur Team 6

Yea,I like doing that for hunting...I also practice the "hard angle shot" rite under your stand...I seen on another link where Ulmer opens his stance to make that shot,im going to try it...I was keeping my feet close together so my bow would not hit my leg...It is a hard shot,but can be made with sucsess...

5. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

I get 6 of my favorite adult beverage and set it up on top of the target in a bucket of ice......:D

shoot a dozen arrows, walk to the target, pop a top, stare at grouping, discuss grouping, pull arrow and return to start, repeat.:dizzy:

6. MagnifiedFur

MagnifiedFur Team 6

Nothing wrong with that,me and you need to shoot together a few times...

7. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

My practice revolves around "real world" hunting, not tournament or 3D. It is important to me to practice in the same weather, wind, and clothing I'm going to hunt in. I'm mainley a tree stand hunter, so I keep a tree stand up in my back yard year round. I get up there once or twice a month, minimum, almost year round. Our season starts in October, so I practice from the stand at least weekly, starting in the spring, and at least 3 times a week in September. I also practice throughout the season. I've found punching the trigger becomes neccessary when shooting in strong wind. I've learned to sway with the platform, like in a rocking boat, and to punch the trigger as my sight pin drifts over the target. I can usually group within a grapefruit size area within 20 yards. My primary form issue is to draw as though I were going to shoot straight out from the tree, and bend at the waist while holding my upper body form. Stance becomes a non issue. I have to be able to make consistant kill zone shots regardless of how I may have to twist, turn or position my feet. I got an Ambush Saddle last week. I'm really loving that addition to my practice routine. I've had it in three different trees in my back yard, already. I'll still use platform stands, but I'll use the ambush saddle alot this year, too. I do some 1" dot shooting at 20 yards, but mostly my goal is try to keep my groups at 1" per 10 yards of distance. This is a realistic goal given that I only shoot my bow as a hunting rig, and my intentional lack of concern for consistant stance.

8. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

JB, I start to do things like that...20 days before the season. When the month of the opener starts, I stop target shooting and get serious with broadheads, blazers and tree stand shooting. I only wish I could get 1'' at 20 yards from a tree. I am more around 4''

9. MagnifiedFur

MagnifiedFur Team 6

I practice from my tree stand alot this time of year..I crank my limbs down first thing sept 1.I put out four or five targets and get serious about shot placement from different angles,some angles get alot of hand torque and you may have to compensate for it or dont take that shot...

I started shooting through thick cover just to see if I am going to be able to get a kill...I am doing fairly well to 15 yards with all my arrows hitting a foam plate...This weekend will be Broad head in the thick stuff,I think they will cut through to the target without too much penetration loss...

Here is a pic of a Stand area for this season...Ground level
    [​IMG]

10. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

Sorry to mislead, but I shoot "at" a 1" dot. My groups are usually 2 or 3", at 20 yards from my stand. From the ground I sometimes can shoot 1" groups at 20 yards with my hunting rig. By the way, 4" groups at 20 yards is plenty good to harvest deer.

11. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

12. MickeyBee

MickeyBee New Member

"My favorite practice methoud", when it's to cold to shoot outdoors, is to set up a 100yd gun target in the basement at about 8yd and shoot at all the line intersections. The lines are 1" apart and there are 13 horizontal and 13 verticle for 169 shots. I do this almost every nite while concentrating on form. Last winter was the first time I've tryed this and Iv'e gone from the worst shooter on my team to the best in one year.

13. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

My groups are about the same as yours at that distance. Sometimes I can get 2 and 3" groups, but usually I'm the same as you. My problem seems to be anchor point, as I must drop my draw hand to compensate for range due to the way my home made sight system works. The other causes of the 25% outside of my group goal, is grip torque and fatigue. Mainley, I just don't practice nearly enough at that distance. I seem to be better at 30 yards from my tree stand that the ground.:noidea: That's my yardage limit for hunting. right now. I've only had one incident where I'd wished I could shoot beyond that, anyway.