My first time to Cabela's.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by IChim2, Oct 22, 2007.

1. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

It was 86 degrees yesterday so we headed to the city to check out the new cabela's and while jeanne was walking arround enjoying everything i moseyed over to the archery department where a young man(very early 20's) was setting up a bow for another young man.Standing a few feet away and watching him set the bow up i noticed that the string had a right hand twist in it and after the peep was installed it was turned slightly to the left while bow was down(he told the guy that after shooting for a while it would rotate to the proper position)...which to me that means the peep is going to continue to rotate to the left untill it adventully is going to be in the back of the string.Also when he installed the d-loop...there must have been 3/4" there..I just walked off shakeing my head and thinking about the problem's that young man was going to have when he got home and started shooting his new bow.Don't these type of stores have some type of training for employee's...By the way..it 's a nice store and has a lot to offer the outdoorsman....but i wouldn't want them touching my bow.

2. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

I was there yesterday around 2:00 (same exact store) and even 'tho I didn't watch what you did I have to agree with you about not letting them work on my bow. Plus they just seem to be in a hurry to get you done.

3. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Their archery dept. is well stocked. I can find some of the stuff there that I can't find other places. But let them touch my bow, not a chance that that would happen. I trust my pro shop to work on my bow and that is it.

I still love going there with my family and just looking around.

4. JTitan

JTitan Junior Member

Not trying to defend Cabelas or anything, but the sales person I dealt with at Cabelas, Justin, was very helpful, patient and understanding while showing their selection of bows to my wife and I.

I went to two other places, Broken Arrow and Town Hall Archery, before Cabelas and both times I felt as if they were looking down upon me because of my lack of knowledge and it was obvious that my newbie questions were annoying them. I just could not wait to get out of those places--I was just so uncomfortable.

I must have lucked out with our sales person at Cabelas because I felt comfortable and confident in his knowledge to purchase my two bows from him. Maybe it is because I am so new to archery that I don't know any different. Who knows he could have been blowing stuff up my butt and I would not know any different. I hope not. But I am happy with my choice. :biggrin1:

Edit: My point is there is most likely someone there that knows what they are doing. Not all their sales people are bad.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

they do all work at the local cabelas in the back so no one can see them, When I was first getting into LH archery I shot a LH bow that they had assembled wrong, but one hell of a mark on my arm too... "oh oops the string doesn't go like THAT on the cable slide"

Basically my opinion of Cabalas has been declining steadily over the last few years

1. Quality of goods and QC is poor

2. Prices are steadily going up year after year and the quality isn't rising to match.

3. Shipping charges are insane, on average its like 10% of the purchase price to ship, regardless of what the item is as they base the s&h on the price of the item, not the item size, unless the item would cost them more to ship in which case you get charged extra

4. Quality of their employees is mediocre at best, the archery section is a great example.

Overall they still get a lot more of my money then I would like as there is nowhere else to get what I need but...

6. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

I also went to both of these places. At Town Hall some young guy was working with me for about 10 minutes and then told me someone else would help me as he was going on break. At Broken Arrow, the little old guy (John) is great But the other (Big John) is lazy. But the place itself is kind of a dive. But it is close to where I live and it is good enough for what I need. There equipment supply is very limited 'tho.

7. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

everytime ive been to town hall archery in bellivelle its been good ... i think im gonna make a trip there to shoot at that screen they got where they play video of a deer and have u shoot it

8. jt13077

jt13077 Senior Member

I will go to Cabelas for a few things, but I too would not let them do work on my bow.

9. IChim2

Did you see those golden retreivers out front for adoption.....nice lookin dogs....we were in there somewhere arround noon...I didn't see anything i needed....but the little lady did....camo fan blades for a ceiling fan.....camo bedding and curtin's....now i can hide in my bedroom.

10. OB1.25

OB1.25 Junior Member

I have a bad taste in my mouth too.

well they just opened one about 1 hour from my house, i went by there on my way to the LSU football game. i was going to purchase me a new rangefinder, well they were sold out of the one i wanted. so i was going to buy me some boots well they did not have my size, then i was going to buy some socks again did not have my size. they did not have freakin socks! I left cabelas empty handed. man.:frusty:

11. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

So you are saying the peep will never rotate all the way back around? What kind of string was it? And what is the law on the d loop length, Im almost at 3/4 on both my bows, their just right for me, but they wont work for that guy??

12. jetshowell

jetshowell Member

my opinion is if you know more than the person there about all the bows dont listen to them find someone that knows more or at least the same about them to do the work

13. retread

retread Junior Member

If they were fuse strings he was probably right.

14. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Last thing I need is a dog. I have 2 now. Between the 2 of them they weight about 250 lbs. and one is only 8 months old. (see thread on dogs.) Bullmastiffs.

15. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

Quality of goods??? Don't they sell the leading brands in every market? How do they control quality of goods?

Prices rising: I checked some there prices to Bass Pro and Keystone Country Store and the look the same, if the manufacturer raises prices than they have no choice.

Shipping may be a little high but Dredly you live within driving distance don't you?

Quality of there bow employees does suck, the gun guys know their stuff and in general the people working there are very helpful.

You have to take the place for what it is, they have just about anything you could possibly need in any aspect of the outdoors, most of the people can help u with what u need, as far as bow shop they are terrible but for anything else I will always buy there.

If you're new store is out of some things that's the reason, when these stores open they get overwhelmed with customers and they can't replenish the items quick enough, give them time and they will get their ordering together.

Another about Cabelas, me and a buddy have been checking out their TAGS service and it appears to be really good.

16. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I meant the "Cabelas" name brand stuff. Seems to be going up in price without any improvements. for example: 65.00 fleece pullover that is identical to one I can get at Old Navy for 20, but in camo! (oohhh). Try to find a pair of pants for under 35.00... good luck

I received a bino strap (Cabelas brand) that was already fraying when I got it. almost broke my binos when it ripped lose. Buddy of mine received a pair of bibs that were missing the zipper... etc.

I wasn't referring to the store... I meant through mail order. Cabelas is approx an hour from me (give or take) but Penndot has 78 down to 1 lane through cattle shoots for 4+ miles there as well...

Your right about the stores getting crushed... they actually received warnings from the fire marshal when the Hamburg store opened for being over capacity. The place is ALWAYS packed unless you go at 8 am.

17. IChim2

What i was saying is that chances are it's going to take a lot of shooting to get it(if it will) to rotate that far...And i thought(not that it matters) that the d-loop was long at the length he installed it which i know had to be 3/4" which in return after te pulls the bow back a few doz times it will stretch out close to an inch.I try to keep mine at arround a 1/2" after there stretched...It wasn't an arguement..just something i noticed...sorry if i offended any of the cabela's loyal's.

18. IChim2

I gave it a shot mostly because my wife wanted to go and probably won't go back cause it's really not much different than bass pro....and there prices are about the same.Our local shop is a couple dollars lower on name brand stuff...sights,rests.etc.I guess thats why those places build in the cities...higher cost of living means higher prices.I wasn't picking on cabela's..just not impressed..it looked like they moved into a building and just put stuff where ever there was a space for it...not very organized imo.

19. JTitan

JTitan Junior Member

Yep, I completely agree... Being a native from Springfield, MO I am use to Bass Pro's main store. That's impressive, Cabela's was just ehh :bored:.

Ok, ok. IChim and MoSkeeter, so you two obviously would not let Cabela's work on your bows, so where do you two take your bows for service or get your supplies in St Louis? I know of Midwest Archery Outfitters, Broken Arrow and Dunn's, but I have only been to Broken Arrow and that experience was not the best.

20. IChim2

I can't help you with any suggestions on where to take your bow...i have delt with dunn's many time's as for buying stuff and their ok.As far as working on my bows i do that my self.....i should have kept my mouth :tape: about going there....guess i read to much hype.