my left forearm is raw :(

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by dantastic, Jan 9, 2007.

1. dantastic

dantastic Junior Member

decided to try out my new bow today, was itching all over :)

never bothered to use armguard shooting recurve, could get a slap every now and then but it was never bad.

first and second shots were fine.
    third shot the string hit my arm, happenes so I adjusted my position for the 4th shot but it slapped again. stung a bit but I didn´t bother.
    5th - 7th shot were all fine and then no 8 the string hit my arm again, this time it hurt so I pulled up my sleve to have a look.... got a big red bump sticking out, 2" across, 3" long and stcking out about 1/4" - ouch!

I´m putting this one in the beginner´s archery... I knew very well I should have used an arm guard..

apart from that I´m very happy with the bow, very nice and I did 8 arrows in a 1 1/2 circle from 10 yards. very happy with that considering I haven´t held a bow for 10 yrs.

2. sounds like your griping the bow.when shooting recurve's you hold them the same way you would hold your compound bow.Keep your shoulders down and loose, and set your bow hand into position on the bow grip nice and relaxed. Only the meaty part of your palm and thumb should grip the bow.if you hold a recurve riser next to a compound bow riser they look the same the only difference is that a recurve dosn't have cams or wheels.do this and say good bye to a black and blue forearm:peace:

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Are you locking your bow arm out straight??? If so dont do that, get some bend in that arm.....

Is the draw length too long on that bow did you already know what your draw length was, ever had it measured at a pro shop???

4. dantastic

dantastic Junior Member

Thanks guys,

The draw length is perfect, it's the way I'm holding it and now thinking back I wasn't doing it right. Haven't shot for a long time so I've lost my posture.

I'll get an arm guard and I'll train some holding the bow correctly.

Would anyone know of any internet page with good drawings of how to position your arms correctly?

thanks, Dan

5. try this web site www.huntersfriend.com

6. dantastic

dantastic Junior Member

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

bend that arm! :)

8. dantastic

dantastic Junior Member

Ok, on my way home from work I got an arm guard.

I carefully adjusted my hand and arm to find a comfortable position I could keep fully drawn. Will need to practise getting in to that position, old and bad habits die hard. But I didn´t slap my arm once and my accuracy increased too so I´m doing something right at least.

The spanish images I posted above really helped.

thanks all, I´ll keep on practise :peace:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

can you get someone to take pics of you at full draw from all different angles and then post them......

10. Lefteye

Lefteye Member

Cool drawings - can't read what appears to be Portugese! Seems to be alot of does and don't -probably important!

11. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

Huh???

Josep Gregoni represents Spain shoots (or did) a Hoyt.
    I tried most of the romantic languages in a free translator but nothing conclusive.......:noidea:

-two_shoes

12. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I was slapping my arm alot when I started shooting. It would puff up so much that I had to let the swelling go down before I could shoot again. Anyhoo, I prefer to just fix the problem instead of covering it with an arm guard. I started gripping my bow differently. Now, If I get a slap, I know I better adjust.

13. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I like to have a little drop in my roter cuff slight,shoulder and a slight relaxed bend in th elbow with the wrist let down toward the front . works for me .....HS

14. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Hey Dreadly maybe I can be called coach and put me one of them qoutes in my post,:clap2: :pound: :pound: Coach HS

15. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

I'm new to this so I can tell you something I was doing. It felt like my draw was a little out of wack. It took me smacking my are two times on three different occasions. When I closed my eyes and pulled the bow I realized that I was stretching my neck and forcing the bow a head with my left arm. Hope it helps.