My wife wants to start shooting with me

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by RunMich, Nov 12, 2007.

1. RunMich

RunMich Junior Member

My wife said she would start shooting with me. So I happend to know where I could get a free recurve. It is 62" with a 35# draw weight. It says Wing Archery on it. Any way I ordered a string for it and arrow rest. I will go to gander mtn. as soon as we can and find out her draw length and buy some arrows. She doesn't want to hunt, she just wants to have a hobby with me.
    I think its great. We have two children a 2 year old and a 10 mth old and I think it can be a great family hobby.

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

:grouphug:
    Now thtas tha spirit of archery taday
    keepin tha famil tagether and trainin em up in it.
    I think it is wonderful

Be sure ta git her an armguard for she will need it.
    some sites would be adviseable as she can better hit tha targit and stay encouraged
    tha bare bow can be frustrating
    for a newbie it could be a killer.
    Ya'll have fun

3. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Thats great that your wife wants to shoot! Remember only give her encouragement and never laugh at her mistakes. I love to see a family group at a 3d shoot.

4. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I don't mind if people laugh at me if I make a dumb mistake:noidea: :biggrin1: . Just don't get angry and frustrated with her. Keep it a happy thing for her.

5. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

That's great that your wife is interested but I must say that unless she is pretty strong 35lb is alot of weight to be holding for someone brand new. With a short 62" bow that is gonna be pretty tough. I've been shooting compound for almost a year and I started doing recurve about 3 months or so ago and let me tell ya 30lb is tough when you're trying to work on form etc. I understand that it's not going to be piece of cake but to a newbie that could get pretty discouraging. Even if the bow is free you might see if they have some lighter poundage bows for her to try and you won't see her giving up practically before she starts. World class archers in the olympics pull around 40 and they shoot like 1000 arrows a day if they gives you any indication.

My new limbs are 32 lbs and I'm doubting I'll go to heavier limbs, now in a compound bow 35lbs would be fine probably for her.

6. pilot

pilot Senior Member

mrs pilot does not mind if anyone laughs at her mistakes.....unless it's me, then it's a whole different animal! :noidea:

I tend to agree with the chelleo as far as the draw weight and getting her frustrated pretty quickly. My wife started shooting with me last winter and we have both really enjoyed it. She started on a 30lb compound bow. I never would have predicted how competitive she would be with me though....she can be down right ruthless. She has always tagged along with some of my other hobbies but now she is really participating. I couldn't be happier that she decided to do this with me. :D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  7. RunMich

RunMich Junior Member

She can pull my 55 lb recurve back, not easy for her but she can do it. If this ends up being to much I will get her a new bow.

8. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Yipes....don't get her mad...:D

9. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

My wife would be more willing to shoot at me than to shoot with me....:biggrin1:

10. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

When I started shooting, I started at 40# and quickly up to 45#. but I have never shot a recurve either. :noidea:

11. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Yes Wheels it's quite a bit different between the 2 when it comes to draw weight. I think on the average it's probably like 10lbs different between the two. My compound I'm fine at 40lbs, and the recurve is at 30 right now. I will probably be able to crank up my limbs a bit more eventually, but the weight on the fingers is quite a difference, remember with our compound I'm only holding about 10lbs or so and recurve I'd be holding that whole 40. I wouldn't be doing that for more than a few times before you yelled uncle, if I could even pull it back. :doh: Even the most skilled men I know don't come close to using a heavy 50 lb bow.

12. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I wouldnt trust Gander to give an accurate draw length measurement. I'm not sure they know how:lol: Where do you live in michigan?

13. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Thats fantastic. I would love it if my wife would start shooting with me.:peace: