Need advice from Bowteck and Matthews shooters

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by USAF Hunter, Aug 25, 2008.

1. USAF Hunter

USAF Hunter New Member

I have not shot since 1996 because of back and shoulder injuries. I would like to start hunting again. I need a bow with a smooth draw. I have shot the General and the S2. Can anyone give me some experienced insight? Even a different bow maybe?

Draw weight will be 55-65 lbs.

Thanks in advance for your help.:usa:

2. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

First off.:welcome:

I am a Bowtech fan and I can tell you to stay away from their Airborne bows. Draw curves are pretty steep. I shoot an 82nd Airborne @ 60 lbs and I am only holding about 12 lbs. The Mathews tend to be a little smoother in the draw cycle to me. The good part is that now, bows are so fast that you can 50 or 55 lbs and get the same speed or better speed than a 96 model bow @ 70 lbs.

The best advice is to and shoot as many different bows as you can and pick from there. Don't worry about names, pick from what feels right and what you like.

3. harleyryder

harleyryder bowhunter, Pure-n-Simple

Go shoot Bowtech's Allegiance,Fast, stable. accurate, nice draw curve and very relaible(maintaince free).Set it and forget it.

4. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

I have not shot the Ally yet, but it is a good bow. One thing about Bowtechs is that you can change the modules out. You can pull the same draw wt, but on different curves. You can choose between smooth or speed modules. My 82nd is pretty tough on the curve, but it shoots 310 fps with a 380 grn arrow. My Tribute was speed modules and shot good with a heavy draw curve. I have a Tomkat with the smooth modules and it is very smooth and a pleasure to shoot.

Go to a shop and shoot some BT's with both modules and see which one that you like. Just keep in mind that with todays bows, you do not have to pull 70 lbs anymore to shoot flat and have the energy to take down anything in North America. Many bows out there that are great and plenty fast at 50 lbs.

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Welcome to the forum ! :peace:

I agree with these guys that you should try and shoot as many bows as you can. The Bowtech Airborne bows do have a rough draw cycle but are really fast. I hunt with a 70# Allegiance and if I had a choice at this point in time I would shoot a 60# instead of the 70#. Modern bows are a lot faster than bows that are just even 5-6 years old. It's a different world out there now and the only way to get a good feel is to try as many bows as you can and choose the one that feels good to you.

Ron

6. pilot

pilot Senior Member

The draw on my General is not as smooth as some of the other bows out there even with the smooth mods. A Switchback or a Drenalin would probably be smoother but if you want a Bowtech, I would recommend shooting the Allegiance or a Diamond Black Ice. You might could even get a good used Tribute. Of course if you go light on the draw weight, it may not matter as much. If you shoot as many different bows as you can, the right bow will choose you.

7. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

If you are looking for a smooth draw I say Mathews has the edge, if it is speed Bowteck is faster.

I hear Martin has a bow that is really smooth. But cant rember what it is called. Happy shooting.

8. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

If draw is the most important attribute to you, then Mathews should be your choice. They draw better than the bowtechs do (except the DXT, didn't care for that one). A Drenalin LD would be good for you to try as well. Good luck!

9. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

I'd stick with Mathews for the smooth draw...as for which bow?? The S2 is a SOLID bow, if you want a longer ATA, then the LD is what you should look at.

I'm shooting the LD after 2 years of the XT and I couldn't be happier!!

10. 12ring4me

12ring4me Member

Go with a Mathews....

I too have shoulder problems in my drawing arm. I went with a Switchback because of the smooth draw, there feels like there is no hump to get over drawing it back, and it is 80% letoff. When I get the urge to trade it or sell it I shoot it again and change my mind. If you are more into speed, Bowtech makes a fine bow and I would not hesitate to go with the General. It is hard to get the best of both worlds, you either have smooth draw with no hump to get over and the result is less strain but loss of speed, you have a hard pulling hump to get over you will have a fast bow for sure, most of todays hunting bows are 75-80% letoff, so once you get it drew back you will be good. The let down may be a bit more touchy so hang on if you draw and then let down.

11. Captain19

Captain19 Grim Reaper of the Foam

I agree the mathews is the smoothest drawing bow out there and in there lineup the Drenalin LD is the smoothest. (Just be forwarned the Mathews has a short valley when it lets off ,you can't relax up and creap or it will yank you.) Typically any single cam bow draws smoother than a 2 cam or cam and a half. But try alot of bows because there are other features on bows you may not have considered that will be just as important as smooth drawing when you feel something you don't like on one of them. For example the grip, recoil , and weight. Good luck

12. Hook Em

that is true...cause matthews has the WORST stock grip of them all IMO...but that is why you can buy after market grips!

13. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

I would also suggest you try one of the Martins with a MPro cam; they have a very gentile draw curve.

14. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Worst stock grip of them ALL.......

HMMM you havent tried many Dartons then......:bored: :bored:

15. Hook Em

nope...never held one. Sorry...I will change it.

Out of Bowtech, Hoyt, PSE, Martin, Alpine, Fred Bear, Elite, High Country, Ross, and Mathews....the Mathews by FAR has the worst grip IMO.:D

16. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

Check out the Mathews Switchback LD. Just might be my next bow, and I'm a Hoyt guy.

17. MagnifiedFur

MagnifiedFur Team 6

I have had shoulder problems in the past,,I went to longer axle to axle and got away from short axle bow's...It took alot of pressure off my shoulder,the steep string angle was hard on my shoulder and i was shooting in pain...I dropped my draw weight to 60 lbs and my axles are 38'' + on all my bows,their not as compact but im not in pain nor am i stressing my shoulder after healing...

Good Luck to you...

~James

18. sfhunter

sfhunter New Member

Not a fan of the mathews stock grip either but like stated earlier that is why they make after market grips. I've had a switchback for a few years now and i have to agree if your looking for smooth draw go with the mathews but you gotta love the speed of those bowtechs

19. MagnifiedFur

MagnifiedFur Team 6

I took my grip off my Mathews,I shoot better off the riser with most bows...I shot a older High Country that had a floating grip on it = no hand torque it shot great...

20. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Switchback, Switchback XT, or the Switchback LD are all great smooth bows.