Need advice on boots...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Dredly, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I need a new pair of boots for Maine.

I need at least 800 grams of thinsulate. 1000+ would be preferred.

They need to provide excellent ankle support as the terrain I'll be walking through is very rocky, lots of blown down limbs and snow is expected (hopefully)

I'm looking for something in the 100.00 range give or take. I don't care about looks and really don't care about Camo / Black / Brown... whatever.

I'll be walking quite a bit so light weight is good. Any suggestions?

I know Cabelas has a lot of their "Cabelas Brand" that are in the price range but I'm not sure of the quality of their boots. I'm also looking at irish setter as they have a pair in the correct price range also...

any suggestions guys? Oh and I need a size 13 or 14 (depending on if they run small or normal)

2. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Look up guide gear boots not sure of the overall quality but I hear they are warm like 2000 grams of thinsulate and they are close to your price range. I bought the dream season boots and they are nice for early season, I dont know about late season:noidea: I will be wearing my mickey boots when it gets cold.....them babies are roasty toasty!

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I don't need 2000... I'm looking for something in the 1000 - 1400 range hopefully. I'm not hunting in -20 degree weather and if I am I'm not going to be standing still

4. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

haha not quite... we are hunting in an area near Rangley Maine... a few hundred-thousand+ acres of logging land with a fairly low deer to land ratio. You need to find them before you can shoot them

6. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I put in some links, I am ordering the 2000 gramers right now. $60 if I dont like them I will send them back!

7. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

2000 gram for 64.95 to my door :rockon: Then its testing time! After a liberal descenting period!:frusty:

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I have 1000 gram thinsulate Rockie Boots. Tough as nails and cost me about $90 out the door. Third season with them this year and they are wearing very well.

Ron

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I was looking at the Guide Gear stuff... the price seems to good to be true on all their items...

for example:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=69739

the same stuff is 55+ a piece at Cabelas, they are selling it top and bottom for less then 50. Something doesn't add up, either the quality is non-existent or something... anyone ever use any of the Guide Gear equipment?

10. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I bought some treestands and some other hunting stuff from sportsmans guide, great stuff at great prices! Your welcome!

11. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I'm going hunting fellas, have a nice evening!

12. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I got a pair of Rubber boots and some cold weather under clothes from them... the quality seems to be fine, but did notice that some of the stitching was off on the clothes. I think they are factory seconds or older stuff not moving that usally end up in outlets. :noidea:

13. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I can't stand rubber boots, they always pinch my heel.

What kind of under clothes? Is it the Guide Gear stuff? I'm good taking factory seconds if it means saving 50% off the price and giving it to the wife to re-sew :)

14. jetshowell

jetshowell Member

15. Tax Lawyer

Tax Lawyer Support Stem Cell

16. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

It was X-scent top and bottom... And I think it was a Guid Gear top. I got them last year.

I will double check tonight when I get home.

17. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

18. Shaman

Shaman Senior Member

If you are going through Freeport pick up a pair at LLBeans.
    Their prices are good on boots, jackets, and backpacks and lifetime guarantee is always a bonus.

2000g is a LOT if you are going to be hiking.
    I can sit treestand just about all day in these with a polypro liner and wool socks.
    Gore-Tex Northwoods™ II Hunter's Boots, All-Leather

For hiking a lot, you would want an insulated hiker:
    Waterproof Hunter's Hiker Boots This is only 200G. Maine is WARM this year, though that can change. If you are hunting the first of November it should not be a problem. It does not look like we are going to get any snow. Then if you hunt warmer climates normally you could still use them instead of having to store them forever.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  19. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

yeah PA Is warm too... sucks :( I'll be up the second week of November so hopefully it will be close to freezing. Walking up sucks! :lol:

20. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I've got some Istica 1200's and I love them warm and comfortable and under $100.00 I think I paid like $70.00 or $80.00 and have had them for 32 plus years now. and are holding up fine.