Need Opinions please.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by ChiefBDT, Aug 22, 2006.

1. ChiefBDT

ChiefBDT Junior Member

Hey all, I'm new here and in the market for my first bow. I'm looking for a good compound for target use. I have been shooting handgun competively for over 20 yrs and it's time for something new. I'm going blind looking at the ads on e bay so here is my question. What would you guys suggest for a high end quality bow to be used for target shooting. I'm kind of looking for a complete package, something like the Hoyt Ultra Tec??? Anyway any advise from you experts is much appreciated. BTW - I'm 6ft. 220 and I measured my draw length at 28.5.
    Thanks and look forward to meeting all.
    ChiefBDT

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

If you want high end look at the Apex 7 from Mathews....

Ultra elite or Pro-elite from Hoyt.....

Hey he asked for opinions....thats mine.....

Dont bother looking at that SLOTECH stuff.....have a bad habit of coming apart at the seams, it seems......

3. whitetail99

whitetail99 Senior Member

You are better served by a quality pro shop for your first bow. QUALITY is the most important word in that sentence. I know some shops intensionally dump product and over charge for services when you are not sure of your self. If post the area you live in some one might be able to help point you in the right direction. Some shops have used equipment that they sell at good prices if you don't already know.

4. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I'd suggest a good pro-shop, too. As for quality bows? There are ton's of them once you open your wallet. I'm warning you now that this sport is addicting and will make you a poor man---beware.

Ok, Look at Martin Pro Series in Elite configuration. Presently I'd be more inclined to shoot the ShadowCat or RazorX (present models) with the Nitrous cams and "X" cabling system.

Not just to tout them, but I've been shooting for over 32 years now and this "X" system is one of the brighter ideas in the last 20 years or so. ALL cam lean, limb twist, and torque is removed from the bow.

Whatever, lean more toward high brace height and longer axle-to-axle lengths for greater forgiveness and consequently greater accuracy. Till you get things down pat look at bows that are adjustable for drawlength. And definitely dual cams if it's a target bow. That way you'll never have to deal with unlevel nock travel and/or cam lean like single cams do.

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

how much are you looking to spend? It will give us a better idea of where to start guiding you

6. ChiefBDT

ChiefBDT Junior Member

How much???? Oh I suspect anywhere between 400 to 800 but like everyone else I'm looking for the most value for the money. That said, I don't want to "Outgrow" something either. My years in firearms shooting have taught me that I should always buy something more accurate than I am. Someone else asked me for my "wingspan" and I again I suspect that the obvious answer would be arms extented and measured to the farest point (tips of middle fingers), That measured at 74.5, so I'm guessing my draw length would be around 28.5. I live in the Mtns. of Colorado west of Colorado Springs. Thanks for all the help thus far and No I'm not worried about getting addicted as I'm now retired and have all my "projects" up to date. As far as "going broke" well hell, we all go broke in the end.............. right?
    Stay Safe All,
    ChiefBDT

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

800.00 is a good estimate for a full setup.

In addition to a bow you need to keep in mind the required addons.

- Sight - at least 50.00
    - Release - at least 50.00
    - Rest - at least 50.00
    - Arrows - at least 50.00
    - Stabalizer and wrist strap - at least 40.00

and if you don't buy the stuff from the dealer expect a few bux in setup fees.

so figure 250 at least for "addons", which means your looking to spend 150 - 550 on a bow. Look for used bows! Also check out the Pearson bows that MoNoFletch is selling on Archerytalk. very good bows for a great price!

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

oh and suggestions:

A2A at least 35 - 37 inches, brace height, at least 7 1/2.

it will help get you shooting more accurately and quicker :)

9. cuttinbucks

cuttinbucks Junior Member

I suggest looking at kodiak outdoors made by bow logic , has mathews cams and is the best bow i have ever shot , no recoil at all , very smooth and the lightest bow i have ever felt:cool:

10. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Chief,

With a 74.5" wingspan you may be better with a bow with around a29.5" drawlength. That's why I suggested something adjustable--just in cased a change is needed.

I know Dredly said to look at 35-37" but if this is for target only I'd begin my search at 38-40" and go up from there. Especially since you're a taller guy. String angle is more acute with longer draw and shorter axle to axle lengths, meaning a little more critical to shoot.

You can look around, but be forewarned (again). HIGH END target bows are going to be in the range of $700 and up. HIGH END sights can cost $400 or more with a good scope.

You'll see and get better ideas once you start looking seriously. There is a lot of good mid-range stuff made, too. And don't overlook the "used" market for a good bow. Some of us CRAZIES just have to have new one every year and are constantly selling the "old".

Good luck.

11. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Bfisher makes a great point with the A2a.

I assumed this was going to be a target, 3D, Hunting bow. If you are only looking Target then a 40 inch A2A bow would be great

For 3-D i would say try a LITTLE shorter, the 37 - 39 range.

Axle to Axle (a2a) is basically how tall the bow is, the longer A2A the easier it is to shoot very accurately.

12. diamond-vic.

diamond-vic. Senior Member

2 words...

DIAMOND VICTORY!!!

13. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Okay ChiefBDT first off WELCOME to the forum.:welcome: This is a great place to hang out. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced archer. We are very glad to have you with us.

Next, if you ask 20 different people which bow you should get you'll probably get 15 different answers. Its all about what feels good to you. Now there are some basic measurements that I agree you should pay attention to. As already mentioned Axle-to-Axle, Brace Height. Also be sure you get measured for Draw Length. And do not over do it on Draw Weight. For indoor target shooting 20 yards you should probably go for something around 50# DW. This is not a speed contest and you know the yardage is 20 yards so no judgement errors there.

With all this said I would suggest you shoot many different bows and see how they feel to you. If I were to suggest a bow for you I would say try the Mathews Ovation it is a great shooting bow for the money. Not as expensive as the Apex or Apex 7 but an extremely nice bow. But that is just my opinion.

Then after you get a bow you will need to decide on a rest,sight,release,arrows,stabalizer. It sounds like so much fun I wish I were in your situation. :rockon:

Good luck and HAVE FUN and if you need any help at all ask away we are here to help you out.:peace:

14. ChiefBDT

ChiefBDT Junior Member

Thanks everyone for all the info. I understand that there will be a lot of "extras" that I'll be needing. Kind of why I am looking for someone like me who is getting out of the sport and wants to get rid of everything all at once. I do have another question I found this deal, would this be good???
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330019399085&fromMakeTrack=true.
    Thanks again.
    ChiefBDT

15. fopsight

fopsight Junior Member

High end Quality Bow

Contact Jim Rumps, email him through his website after viewing bow packages. Ben Pearson has some really hot fast/forgiving shooting bows. 1/2 to 2/3 price of Hoyt choices. Check out his website http://selectarchery.com
    you will not be sorry dealing with Jim Rumps @ Select Archery and Outdoor Supply.:decision:

I caution or recommend (not) buying
    • any
    bow from EBAY unless seller is an Established Licensed Archery Dealer. Accessories would be a different issue. Bow may have a defect :Cry: where as local pro-shop is not even willing to take it on consignment. Check into Select Archery buy new with manufacturing warrenty.:decision:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Let me just say that not every deal on 3dsoots.com classifieds, AT classifieds, Ebay, or any other place selling this manner is a bad deal......

that being said I would not buy a used bow from a guy who is selling his first item, just something I try not to do.....let them sell some smaller stuff first and get some credibility, and good feedback.....

That being said if I were looking for a Hoyt and trust me I am not......I would not hesitate on that one, good deal for the bow and the extras if the price stays below $600.00.

It looks as though you are looking for just target, though you have not said wether or not camo is a choice.....

I got a great deal on a couple year old Mathews Icon in target color on AT had it shipped w/extras from Ireland for $400.....so there are deals to be had...also have seen some great deals on here for accesories as of late....