Need some advice

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by bill10418, Sep 27, 2007.

1. bill10418

bill10418 Why be Normal

I received a call yesterday to give a small archery demonstration to some (approximately 6) kids, age unknown at this time. I then called a friend of mine to get some advice, (he teaches archery in a school environment to kids and JROTC). He said that he has a book called Archery in Schools(?). Aside from the obvious safety concerns, he stated to talk to them as archery as a recreational sport and not hunting. He also stated to show them the different targets, paper, 3D, FITA, ...etc. Is there anything else that I need to discuss with them? Any information will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

2. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Starting out they need to know that it takes a lot of practice to be good and not to get :frusty: at the start.

3. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

It would be good if you had some different bows...recurve/longbow/compound. Show them the differences in each. Oh, and make sure you tell them how Bowtechs are the only bows that real archers shoot. We need more Blowies in the world :wave:

4. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Limb crash dummies lol
    or
    Limb Crack Dummies.

5. bill10418

bill10418 Why be Normal

I appreciate the replies from IChim2 and Hook'Em. Those are some great points to incorporate into the presentation. As far as bringing out some other types of bows, I'm going to try to do just that. If i can not get my hands on some actual bows, then I'll have to drop back ten and punt with some pictures of those type of bows.

Bill

6. GRIV

GRIV Junior Member

If you are doing it for kids, shoot more than you talk.

Have some handouts ready with addresses and phone numbers, so if you hook any of them it will be easy for them to get started. Include the national organizations, Local clubs, and local proshops with ranges and rental equipment.

Always remember this, don't make it too hard. Trick shooting is fun to watch but it doesn't really sell archery. It seems impossible for them to do themselves, so throw in some fantastic hard shots, but keep the meat of the program doable.

When shooting for kids... its not how far or how small the target is, it is whether you hit it or not. Keep it around 10 yards.

Start off by popping some balloons. that always gets a rise. Next split some Oreos and finish off with busting a couple lifesavers. Kids love that stuff. They smash and fly all over the place.

Set up a stand with three dowels sticking up out of a flat 2X4. Have it tall enough so the arrows will be hitting the center of the bag. Put glob of non-drying clay on the ends of the sticks and you can use that to hold the life savers and oreos in place.

for the grand finale you can shoot arrows through CD holes without busting the CD if you are up for it. If you don't think you can ring the hole every time, just don't tell them that is what you are going to do and smash them all over the place. Kids are suckers for smashing stuff. :)

Good luck with your Demonstration and keep it simple and don't forget the handouts. Make it sound easy and non-intimidating to get involved. Tell them about JOAD and their chance to become olympians even if they cant run. :) The geeks that were like me when I was a kid will eat that up.

7. GRIV

GRIV Junior Member

Oh, and one more thing...

Go to a store that sells hats. Get yourself one of those styrofoam manikin heads and buy and apple.

You can pull and apple off the head gag with one of the teachers. Here is how it works. Hide the head and put the apple in your pocket. Do your shooting and talking give the handouts in between the shooting and talking. and pretend that it is an afterthought and say something like "oh my gosh I forgot to shoot an apple off the teachers head!" say it as you are pulling the apple out of your pocket. The kids will cheer and the teacher will look terrified.

Walk the teacher down range while whispering to them, "look terrified, I am not going to shoot at you". Sit them in a chair in front of the target butt and place the apple on their head. Walk back and pick up your bow and pretend to load it, and build suspense. Pretend to draw (but dont) and say something like, This trick is terribly dangerous, maybe I should practice first. Walk down and let the teacher off the hook and bring your manikin head out of hiding. and set it up with the apple.

Stand back and draw your bow, and then letdown. Scratch your ear or somthing and look like you are very nervous and concentrating very hard. You can draw and let down and talk a couple times to build suspense.

Draw and shoot the Manikin head right between the eyes. While the kids are roaring pick up the manikin head with the arrow sticking out and tell them to NEVER EVER EVER shoot a bow at anyone, you never know what may happen. The kids and the teachers will love it.

As far as equipment to use while doing the demo, stay away from fast carbons. The kids cant see them fly and they can't see them in the target. Shoot your indoor rig with big slow brightly colored arrows that they can see. You can even shoot modified flu flu type arrows. They make noise in flight and are easy to see.

GOOD LUCK!

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

why are you doing a demonstration? is it Boyscouts or something?

9. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Sounds like a blast...nothing better than gettin youngins involved in archery.

Griv you have some fantastic ideas. Especially the manikan head.:rockon:

10. bill10418

bill10418 Why be Normal

Those are some great points, but since I have to do this tomorrow evening, I do not have the time to get all of that. I do have the phone number for our club and local retailer so they can see all the different types of equipment available. I am going to be doing this at the local Rod and Gun Club here at Fort Bliss.

11. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

I think the kids would also enjoy you shooting some stuff on the target. Like balloons or ping pong balls or something like that. Instead of just shooting a foam target. I know my kids enjoy shooting at stuff that I put on the target more than just a blank bale or a 5-spot.

12. bill10418

bill10418 Why be Normal

The demo went quite well. During one of my shots, I ended up taking off a fletching with another arrow. That really impressed them quite a bit. I think that we may have some more archers in the near future.

13. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

Great, nice work!

Ben