Need some technical info

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Brett Cantrell, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Brett Cantrell

Brett Cantrell Junior Member

Need help:confused:
    I am interested to know what is a (Hoyt) "cam and 1/2" and if there are any advantages with it...also are there any advantages to a one cam vs. two cams?:noidea:
    I have an older ('97-98) CSS System Three with one cam. I can't get the tiller even on both limbs, regardless of how tight or how loose the limb bolts are. Is this a one cam characteristic? The bow feels great to shoot, aims well, and shoots well, given my limited ability.:sad:
    Thanks !
    Brett

2. tek

tek Senior Member

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Try maxing the pounds out on your bow, then take a string or straight edge and run it tight from a/a then measure your tiller from there.

3. Brett Cantrell

Tek..
    Thanks for the welcome and advice. I'll give it a try.
    Brett

4. ladyarcher5575

ladyarcher5575 Member

setting your tiller is easy,just tighten both limbs till they stop one at a time.
    then check your tiller they should both be the same measurement,if not loosen a limb bolt a little at a time till you get your tiller even.it is kinda hard to explain writeing it you ether tighen or loosen until your tiller is the same measurement.i hope you understand this.sorry if u don't.
    Single Cam vs. Twin Cams
    This is a hotly debated issue in the industry. It seems that serious archers who already have a preference for single vs. dual cams, will fight to the end on this debate. Since the invention of the first dual-feed single-cam, by Matt McPherson in the early 90's, virtually every bow company has feverishly worked to develop and perfect their own single cam systems. Though two-cam technology continues to improve, single-cam models have continued to gain market share and are today's popular choice in the US (though significantly less popular abroad). In spite of their popularity, it should be noted that single cam bows are still a relatively new phenomenon, and it may be premature to conclude that twin-cams are a thing of the past. Because as we all know, designs come and go. Only time will tell if the single-cam bow is indeed the superior design. And with the recent rise in popularity of the Hybrid (AKA Cam & 1/2) systems, the puzzle gets even more complex.

Perhaps the most notable advantage of single and hybrid cam systems is the lack of cam synchronization issues. As a whole, bowhunters favor the "keep it simple" philosophy. Checking and setting cam synchronization on a twin cam bow, though not a big job, is fairly technical. It is also an inconvenience many novice archers and weekend bowhunters would rather avoid. And while single and hybrid cams do need to be timed properly to achieve best efficiency during the powerstroke, there are no synchronization issues to negotiate between two identical opposing cams. So the single and hybrid cam bows generally spend a little less time in the bow-press. Twin cam systems require a little more maintenance to stay in top shooting condition.

The demise of the twin-cam's popularity has brought about one pleasing side effect, however. Many twin-cam bows are now offered for significantly less money than their single-cam counterparts. Particularly with entry to mid-level bows, you may find the twin-cam versions to be priced $30-50 less, even though their performance specs are very similar to the single-cam versions of the bow. Archers on a budget may find that their archery dollar can be stretched a bit further by purchasing a good twin-cam system.

5. ladyarcher5575

ladyarcher5575 Member

well i forgot to put in the legend

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Have to disagree w/you on this statement....this WILL NOT WORK ON A SINGLE CAM BOW that the idler wheel is smaller than the cam......

it is not possible.....physics says so.....or one of those classes that I didnt do well in in school.....

I dont beleive it can be done w/any sigle cam but I may be wrong.....

on single cams you have to do the string trick the second poster stated.....

7. ladyarcher5575

ladyarcher5575 Member

you may be right not going to argue.thats just what they taught.

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

what who taught......:biggrin1:

9. ladyarcher5575

ladyarcher5575 Member

Archery school
    Shooter School Training Program
    Topics covered in the Shooter Schools
    Setting your archery goals How to shoot different types
    of release aids
    How to tailor your equipment to
    achieve your goals How to "super tune" your equipment
    Proper shot execution How to bare shaft tune
    The myths about paper tuning
    How to shoot different styles How to beat target panic

10. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

ummm could you share the myths on paper tuning with us???? pls pls pls!!!

11. ladyarcher5575

ladyarcher5575 Member

I don't remember all of that,the only thing i remember is how to paper tune a bow and it was'nt with paper it is with just your basic ordenary black
    electrition tape.you can go to the scool to it cost about $700.00 just look up archery schools on the web

12. Brett Cantrell

Thanks for all the great info!!

Special thanks to Ladyarcher for the very informative explanation of 1cam vs.2cam, it's just what I was looking for.:hug: :hug:

Bowman, I think you hit it when you said even tiller is not possible on the 1cam.:rockon:

I have tried over and over to get even tiller on both limbs by adjusting the limb bolts individually, but it just ain't happening! There's about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch difference.

I'm still looking for an explanation of what a "cam & 1/2" is, how it works, (&/or) it's advantages over a "regular" cam set-up.

I recently picked up 60# '06 Hoyt Ultra Elite with the 4000 limbs for spots. I think I like it, but it seems very sensitive to hand position ( low wrist vs high wrist). Now I'll need to learn how to sync the cams!:noidea:

I hope I'm not asking too many questions...there's a lot I need to brush up on!

Thanks again

Brett