Need to replace string and cables on older bow?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by AWGunS, Aug 18, 2006.

1. AWGunS

AWGunS Junior Member

Hello gentleman, and ladies if there are any. Newbie here, and I need some advice.

I have an older Golden Eagle bow, an Ultraevolution, 70#, 30 inch draw. I bought it several years ago (10, maybe?), shot quite a bit with it, then it went into the closet, and havent shot it since. Anyways, When it went into 'dark' storage, I left the full tension on the string and cables. Now I have an opportunity to do a little bowhunting on private property, and would like to get it back into shooting shape. The string looks OK, but sitting here typing this and playing with a tiny frayed part on the cable, it is now a big frayed area, which I now assume is a good indicator of it needing replaced. Since I have now answered part of my question (whether to replace the cable), should I just go ahead and replace the string too? On the tag of the bow, it lists the string at 58.5, and the cable as 43 5/8. I am assuming that is the length of each, in inches? Can I order generic cables and string in those lengths, or do I have to try to get a Golden Eagle set? I don't have a bow press, but I think I could rig one up. Or should I leave it to the professionals? And how much could I expect to spend? I am also without an arrow rest. Can someone suggest a decent model of rest to replace the missing one-nothing too fancy or expensive please.

Sorry for all the questions, and I thank you for your time in advance.

A Smith
    movsouth@verizon.net

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

After 10 years the strings and cables should be replaced. I would not shoot it the way it is. Have a professional check it out and install new strings and cables on the bow.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.