New 2 archery

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by southern_rebel, Jan 18, 2008.

1. southern_rebel

southern_rebel New Member

Sup everyone....I'm new to archery and bowhunting. I'm looking at purchasing my first bow within the next month or so. I've been looking at 2 different bows but the local archery shop offers just 1 of them. The 2 bows are the Bowtech Tomkat & the Martin Bengal. Any advice or opinions will be greatly appriciaited. Thanks in advance.

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I don't shoot either brand but they both make good bows....:welcome: to the forum:wave:

3. J.C.

J.C. New Member

:welcome: to the forum. try to find another shop that has the Bengal, shoot them both to see which one you like.

4. southern_rebel

so far the closest place that i have found that sells the bengal is bass pro in bossier city, la. they have an indoor range and all but the drive their to shoot the bow then the drive back to purchase the bowtech incase i dont like the bengal would eat my lunch. will research more. and please feel free to give all the advice, links, and anything else were i can get tips from. i know experience is the teacher but tips and advice are the text books.

5. J.C.

J.C. New Member

How far are you from Gilmer and Diana? There's bow shops there.

6. southern_rebel

i'm bout 30 or so minutes from longview

7. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I know a few guys the got the Bowtech and love it.

8. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Here's a couple of dealers you might call that are fairly close to you. I would definately call first. I was in East Texas Archery in Diana last summer and he didn't have much in stock. I'm sure he stocked up for hunting season though.

The Bowtech is a very good bow. Have you shot it yet?

EAST TEXAS ARCHERY *R184A*
    Pro Series Dealer
    2335 HWY 259 S.
    PO BOX 240
    Diana, TX 75640
    903-663-4626

LUFKIN FARM SUPPLY *R258A*
    Pro Series Dealer
    1217 E. LUFKIN AVE
    Lufkin, TX 75901
    936-634-7414

9. southern_rebel

was thinking about going and shooting the bowtech tues...might drive the few extra miles so i can try out the bengal. but if i were to buy one of the 2 on looks alone i would hit the bowtech up....but looks dont make it feel right and shoot consistantly either.

10. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Dixie greetings SR
    Good ta havwe ay here
    Not much up on them Bt but tha martins been my bowery fer 24yrs
    Good bows
    alot of quality bowerys nowadays.
    Hang round and join tha fun:welcome:

11. jessetjames

jessetjames Junior Member

the tomkat is a very good bow i shot it and was impressed.

almost bought it but went with the martin moab because it was $75 cheaper

12. southern_rebel

one of the main reasons i'm looking at the tomkat is that it comes in a package. bass pro has the bengal in a package but that's an hour and a half drive to bass pro. there is a couple of pro shops close by though that i can check out. i know that which cow is the best is a personal preference but still all information and opinions are welcome.

13. mbaycity

mbaycity New Member

I too just recently bought a bow. Picking one out is not to be rushed. Don't buy for looks, buy for quality. All the people around here will give you great advice. I had the same problem as you, nothing close to home. I drove 4 hours south to buy mine. Probably had 20 different one's in my hand.

14. I like to tell people to make sure the bow is set to thier draw legnth before they shoot it, that way they can get a true feeling of the bow, good luck.

15. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

16. southern_rebel

total spending limit i have to get bow and accessories is about $900 before taxes & all.

also has anyone use the tru-fire 3d hunter bow relase or the tru-ball t-handle thumb release? need some opinions on some releases & arrows also. i am looking at some easton aluminum arrows. again thanks

17. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I have a TRU ball Trail Boss...Great release.

So is the Pro Diamond and Chappy Boss...TRU makes a great release IMO.:biggrin1: