New 3d / backup hunting bow.

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by 62flint, Apr 22, 2008.

1. 62flint

62flint Member

I am in the market for a new set up. I am really twisted as to get a Hoyt or Mathews. I am not trying to start a bashing thread. I just figgure it is easier for me to get these 2 bows in my area.
    I am Shooting a 70 pound hoyt right now and like it. I was just thinking of getting a 60 pound bow to shoot 3d with and back hunting bow.
    My problem is I want a fairly fast bow. I only have a 27 inch braw. So can I get in the 280 fps range with a 60 pound bow? I am not to worried about KE. I use cut on contact fixed blade broad heads for hunting. I can also go to a heavier arrow if needed for my Ke while hunting. I am not to worried about speed while I am hunting.
    So bow/3d gurus What bow/arrow combo should I look at? How about sight and rest? I was thinking of a spot hogg .19 pin sight and some sort of a drop away rest. I am open to thoughts.
    Thanks

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

As far as sight and rest...the Spot Hogg is nice but look at a Sword sight also...For the rest I vote for the copper johns scaredy cat pro...

3. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

If your buying a backup hunting bow/3d bow, you should probably keep your eye peeled to the classifieds. There are a few really good deals on used bow on there right now. I just couldn't afford to buy a brand new bow and then make it my back up, that's why I would look in the classifieds. I won't suggest a brand, because all the manufacturer's out there produce good bows.

As far a the sight and rest goes, if you don't want to keep switching them out, I would look at the Spott Hog and I am partial to the Trophy Taker Shaky Hunter rest. I will say that on one of my hunting bows, I am using the Cobra Sidewinder LX and it can't be beat in the early mornings and late evenings. That thing transmits some serious light to the pins and it didn't break the bank for a sight. I think that as far as drop aways go, the TT's are almost bullet proof.

4. HCAman

HCAman New Member

Gotta agree with Pred8er, most companies manufacture a good bow these days, but I will put a plug in for hoyt. They are one tough bow..:biggrin1:

as far as rest/sight, i like the Biscuit (KISS method) and the Apex gear Inferno sights i would like to try the Sword sights also, just haven't got around to it...:peace:

5. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

sword makes a great product, i really like the ultra rest i bought too. id love to buy another bow but at the moment finances are tight so thats out of the question. id probably buy something completely different than what i am shooting if i did though just for the variety.

6. 62flint

62flint Member

id probably buy something completely different than what i am shooting if i did though just for the variety.[/QUOTE]

Thats why I am really leaning to a Mathews. I have a Hoyt and like it, just feel compelled to try a mathews. I am thinking Dxt,drenlin or switch back.
    Can I get 280 fps out of these bows with a 27 in draw and 60 pounds ?
    As for buying used. I would feel better if I could see something before I plooped 500.00 or so down on it. I also like my pro shop boys they have taken good care of me.

7. trussoni

im getting right around there with my set up my draw is 27.5 im pulling 67lbs of draw weight and my arrows weigh 356 grains and i am getting around 280fps with my Drenalin.

8. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Hoyt Katera, Sword Sight, G5 or DMI dropaway, Carbon Express Maxima arrows......:peace:

9. flab0y

flab0y New Member

back up bow.

Hoyt Katera 27" 64# 300fps----only my humble opinion, not here to start nuttin

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  10. trussoni

hear a lot of good things about the hoyt katera