New and need some help

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by hynscp, Sep 5, 2008.

1. hynscp

hynscp New Member

Hi, I have been out of the hunting world for a while. Used to go rifle huning with my dad when I was younger. But now I want to start bow hunting. Can you guys/gals point me in the right direction for a good bow and setup? Any advice would grealty be appericated. Thanks Dale

2. All I can suggest is find a local dealer and shoot every bow you can get your hands on. A bow "must" be set up to match your individual requirements/needs. Buying your first bow through an on line dealer is NOT the way to go - trust me, I've been there. :Cry:

PLUS, don't want to upset the ethics police, but I hope you're not planning to bow hunt this year. You don't just buy a bow and go shoot a deer the next week. By all means, buy a bow and learn to shoot, but don't be to anxious to head to the woods.

3. MagnifiedFur

MagnifiedFur Team 6

Dale,the first thing I would do is find out what my draw length is...When a Bow fits good at full draw,the string should touch the tip of your nose...
    You can get close with a yard stick,butt one end in the center of your chest and take both hands with extended fingers as far as you can reach with your middle fingers,what ever that measurement is , is your draw length...That is Olympic style measuring...

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Hey Dale, Welcome

some good advice so far...you can also check your DL by dividing your wingspan measurement by 2.5...

Definitly check your local shops and shoot some bows, you want to make sure you are comfortable...it will affect your confidence and accuracy...

5. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Ditto on what these guys said. Get setup right and you will be lovin it in no time. If you get setup incorrectly you will become frustrated and give up. If you need any help at all just let us know we will be more than willing to help ya out if we can. By the way where ya from??:wave:

6. hynscp

hynscp New Member

Thank guys for all the help. I think me a one of my co-worker who bow hunts are going to go up to a archery shop, he expressed the same views you guys have. I do have some bow experience, but it's been a long time. Hopefully I can get out and hunt by x-mas that would be fine with me if not next year. I am no rush, especially with kid number 3 on its way. Thanks again, and I will let you know what I get.:peace:

7. hynscp

hynscp New Member

Ok, well went a shot a couple of bows, and found one that feels like it felt just right. I bought a Bear Lights Out bow. Anybody got any reviews on them? By the way I live in western Maryland. Thanks guys

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I've never shot one myself but it looks like a good bow. :biggrin1:
    Good luck with it and keep us posted...

9. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

:welcome: I really like your attitude. Too many of us rush into the woods before we're able to ethically kill deer. Many game animals get wounded and are not found by the hunter. This is the biggest black mark I know of on public perception of bowhunters.

10. hynscp

hynscp New Member

Well so far so good. Took about 1/2 hour to site it in, and got a group of 3 from 20 yards away within 1/2 of inch from each other. Going to practice some more from 20 and work my way back. So far my impression of the Bear Lights Out is great. Very light weight, forgiving, and quiet. But Im just a rookie so that might not say much. Thanks Dale