"New" bow, few questions

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Cougar281, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Cougar281

Cougar281 Junior Member

Got my "New" bow on Friday. Took it to Bass pro, had the draw length adjusted, weight set to 60# (was at 40!), got a TRU-Nok installed got a new Whisker Biscuit "insert" and bought a dozed Carbon Fiber arrows. Got home to get it sighted in. Destroyed two arrows by missing the target :doh: (the backstop behind the target is a cement block wall). Anyway, in adjusting the sight, it's moved as far to the right as I can get it, and the pins are *just* visible when I look through the peep. It seems pretty close. Could probably use some fine tuning, but it's a start until I'm used to the 60# draw. Is there a "good" way to be able to have the pins further away from the bow so you can see more? I moved the rest so that when I cover the arrow with the string, it also covers the sight pins. Is this the correct way to align everything?

I think that covers everything for now...

Thanks,
    Dave

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

thats a good starting point...you may have to move the rest and sight to the left...

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

are looking down the center of the riser also?????

4. Cougar281

Cougar281 Junior Member

Call me dumb... what riser? What I did was put an arrow in place, moved the rest until the arrow and sight pins where both covered. Guess I'll have to re-adjust so I can see more of the pins?

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the riser its the center part of your bow, that your limbs attach too........(the handle part)

6. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

do ya'll think we should tell em' bout paper tunin'

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Cougar best advice I could give ya is find a good pro shop and let them set your bow up. If you can barely see your sight pins then you got some serious tuning issues that need to be addressed. Just my .02...

9. Holy Smokes

that was at least worth a $1

10. Cougar281

Cougar281 Junior Member

Now now... be nice :)

I see what you where talking about with the riser. Apparently, it wasn't quite centered, so I'll try to get out tomorrow and adjust the sight some more.

I'd like to learn anything I can to help myself improve. I started into archery probably 10-15 years ago, but haven't touched a bow for probably 7 years until recently. I've got a lot to learn. Heck, I didn't even know about the peep sight until this weekend. I always drew the bow, lined up the pin and released. :noidea:

11. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Go to a Pro shop and have them adjust the bow for you. It will save you a lot of aggravation and will be cheaper than shooting your arrows into concrete blocks :))) Plus the way you're doing it might result in frustration and cause you to give up a wonderful sport.

12. Holy Smokes

wish we'd ahad pro shops back in my early days or maybe not i git a lot of pleasure out workin on my on bows.

13. Werd

Werd Senior Member

what kind of bow? kuz ive never heard of that problem and i have .019 pins and WB

14. Cougar281

Cougar281 Junior Member

It's a PSE Team Fitzgerald. The sight is a Toxonics of some kind. I don't know the model. It has two pins on a single plain and a pendlum. Seems like all the newer sights have two plains so you can get the pins closer together.

As for getting frustrated and giving up, I don't think that would happen. I've been shooting firearms for longer than I have been into archery, and sighting in a rifle is nothing new to me. Sighting in the bow is very similar at the basic level. Just take small steps until it's right. At this point, it's pretty close to dead on. It could probably use some fine tuning, but I'm consistently hitting the target (haven't missed since the first two) and keeping decent groups not too far from where I'm aiming. For the moment, I'm shooting to strengthen my arms and get my groups better. Once I'm more accustomed to shooting the stronger bow, I'll look into the fine tuning.

15. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

dont go to bass pro for adjustments. You need to take it to a pro-shop so they can set your center shot. Then you can shoot it at the shop where an experienced tech can halp you. you will spend less time and money. Plus you'll be helping the little man out. And some friendly advice... You can buy stuff at larg box stores but your better off taking to an actual pro-shop to have it worked on. To many horror stories of box store techs destroying people stuff. good luck!!!

16. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

You do know when sighting in a bow your adjustments should follow your point of impact? Exactly the opposite of a rifle scope. If your arrows poi (point of impact) is left of the aiming point you move your sight left, if it's high you move your sight up.....etc.

17. Cougar281

Cougar281 Junior Member

MoSkeeter, do you happen to know if there are any archery shops near St Charles? The two closest I could find are way out in Wright City and Troy.