new bow purchase, need opinions.

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by n2t, Jan 26, 2007.

1. n2t

n2t Senior Member

Well as I said in an earlier post I was a bit wishy washy on the martin phantomII. For all it's good points, I really wasn't to happy with it when shooting. I think after shooting it a few times it was simply to long for me, the draw was long and I couldn't get a decent comfortable possition. I tried a nice looking hoyt, same issue, to long. I then tried a bowtech diamond. Fit well, but I didn't like the way it felt idk...just felt..mushy at full draw, lots of give I think this is called a "soft wall", but am not sure. So after 90 mins of trying, and shooting and such I was back to the phantomII as close enough. Then I got lucky. A guy came in, he had just purchased a brand new hoyt and was selling his old bow. A 55-70# martin Orion magnum. It was about 6" shorter total length of the phantom and even with the same draw length listed it fits great and I actualy have room to go down even though it feels like I can go up in lenth just a tad. The ?wall? is harder (hope I'm saying that right), and it just fits me so much better. So I had the shop owner transfer everything from the PhantomII to the Orion Magnum (which has a 70# max range instead of a 60# of the phantom, BONUS! So instead of spending 389 on the slightly long one, I spent 275 on a well used but much better fitting bow. I shot about 50 shots today at 50#s and if I did my part was able to keep them in or just outside the yellow area at 20 yards. I'm alot happier and alot more confident about my choice now, draw length makes a HUGE difference.

2. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Glad to hear you lucked out and got a good deal. And found a bow that fits you.:rockon:

3. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

youv learned a verry important thing here........ DL is verry important, also peep hight is too, to get good form, draw the bow with your eyes closed, get your anchor, where you like it and open your eye, can you see though the peep with out having to move?? if not, move it, find the sweet spot!!! I like to anchor with the string just touching the tip of my nose. just some stuff to try, you need to be comfertable and consistant, sounds like you got a great start tho. good shooting for just starting!!

4. n2t

n2t Senior Member

Appears that release is too. I tried the recomended cobra pro caliper. There is a rubber washer in front of the solid connector piece that never was centered propperly, I always stretched the washer when drawing..drove me nuts. I finaly broke down and purchased a scott mongoose release..much better.

5. it goes to show that sometimes not buying something that just doesn't feel right can be big plus. Way to go about not letting yourself fall into a bow that didn't feel right. Good luck with your new bow, but where are the pic's???