New bow? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Lwapo, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Lwapo

Lwapo Junior Member

Hi all,

I was recently referred to this site and I've liked what I've seen!

I am looking at purchasing a new bow. I don't think I'll use it to hunt with this year as the season is fairly close. I pretty much ONLY hunt, but on rare occasions, I've been taken to club shoots as a fill-in person for a friend of mine.

That being said... I really like the newer "Parellel Limb" bows. At least I think that is what the style is called. They seem to be shorter and definately lighter than what I have now.

I currently have an older PSE model called a Polaris Express. I use a whisker biscuit rest with a site that I like a lot, but could not name off the top of my head. (Trophy Hunter Ridge or something like that?) I am considering a dropzone rest but I don't want to change this close to hunting season.

I use the CE Maximas with blazer vanes and shoot 100 Grain Thunderheads.

So, now that you've got an idea of what I have...

I'd like a new bow with the parellel limbs. Of course, I plan on trying to shoot as many as possible before making a purchase. I'm thinking I may wait till after the archery season is nearly over as I could possibly get a deal at that time.

I'd like to get one that doesn't break the bank. I don't want to cheap out and get something that is useless, but at the same time, I don't NEED a new bow so its hard to justify the $900 price tag on some of the newer bows. I'd like to try to stay in the $300ish ballpark for the naked bow, if possible.

What should I look for and are their any models that you can suggest that I look at? I don't think that I'll need any accessories to start out with as I can remove the ones from my current bow and use them to cut down on the price tag.

Thanks in advance!

Lwapo

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

First off WELCOME to the forum.

Check out Bear,Diamond.Mission,Reflex,PSE,Martin. They all have bows in the sub $400 range. You may also want to check out the classifieds on here and on archerytalk. You can find some great deals. Good luck and happy hunting.

3. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Hoosier is right on. There are lots of bows in the $350-$450 range that will shoot just as well as "the high priced spread", for you. There is really no justification for the higher end bows unless this is your only hobby or you're a sponsored shooter or something near to that.

Something like the Martin Bengal is just dandy. I shoot the Pantera, which is just a slightly longer axle to axle Bengal.

Being as your bow is fairly old I think you're going to be in for a pleasant surprise when you go try some. And that's another point. You're not going to use it this year so take your time. Shoot a lot of bows. Keep a list of likes and dislike of each one so you have some criteria to fall back on.

Lastly, get something that is draw length adjustable.

4. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

figure whats in your price range and go to a few shops and shoot some. Get your draw length measured and look at possibly packages. You can usually save your self a few bucks..

5. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

Don't let price dictate what bow you buy. There is not that much difference between your bottom end and top end bows. Go shoot all the bows you can and then narrow it down and shoot them some more. Lots of guys do just that and then walk away with a Bowtech. The company has had and continues to have extraordinary growth and made the Fortune 500 list again last year. Archery's overall growth pales in comparison to Bowtech's growth. Guess where that growth is coming from?:cool:

Dan

6. Pinwheel1969

LOL... Bowtech.... LOL ... If they got hazard insurance...:laugh:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

NOT SALES OF LIMBS........:lol: :lol:

8. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

There will always be jealousy of rising companies as well as internet cry Babies. I didn't put Bowtech on the Fortune 500 list but they are there:cool: You don't continue to grow unless you make a great product and have excellent customer service to boot:D I have seen Bowtechs growth in my area since their start and I know where it has came from in my area. Most are not new to Archery:laugh:

Dan

9. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

Bowtech!!! Refuse to follow:cool:

Dan

10. Pinwheel1969

I see there not following.. Not following everyone else on there limbs.. they just keep on..........Tick........Tick........Tick.............Tick.........

What was that!!!!!!! Oh just my Bowtech exploding again....:laugh: :laugh:
    J/K!!!

11. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

You can type anything Pin:biggrin1: Funny thing part of my job as Corporate staff is to stay in touch with dealers and one thing is consistent in what I hear this year and that is very few almost nonexistent problems. This coming from dealers who also deal with Hoyt, Mathews, Ross, etc. I was talking to a competitors rep the other day and all he had for Bowtech was praise and voiced his concerns over sales his company had lost to Bowtech. Now if you have anything other than the typical propoganda, feel free:cool:

Your posts are kind of amusing:laugh: :laugh:

Dan

12. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I really hope someone is buyin this.................:laugh: :tape:

13. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Hijackers! :frusty: :D

I know you said you wanted a parallel limb bow, but I would highly recommend you look at a Mission X3. It's very light, and for a non parallel limb bow has a surprising lack of handshock. Smooth draw, too.
    Retails for $339. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and really like it. :thumb:

14. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Wow!! For a minute there I thought I was back on AT witht he BowTech haters. Wheres the love man wheres the love?? Jealousy will get you no where my friends. I have shot a lot of different bows from a lot of different manufacturers over the years and I am currently shooting a Bowtech. For the last five years I shot a Mathews and before that a PSE.....Bear.....Browning. You get my point. I have to agree with Dan on the how much Bowtech has grown. They are putting out some great bows and I bet they are giving the others a run for there money in sales if not beating them. Now with that said.......... QUIT PICKING ON MY BOW !!!!:biggrin1: :biggrin1:

15. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Member

my thoughts!

hello,as all have said shoot all you can first,also you can pick up a high dollar bow of a year or so ago for a good price and come out with a fine bow.....with that said if you can spend a hair more i really liked the pse octane,very nice bow too,or the brute maybe,never shot it,well good luck,its always fun looking and getting a new bow...........:peace:

16. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Preach it dude:amen:

17. Pinwheel1969

I post these just to be funny. I have no Ill towards any bow company. I know sometimes I might get carried away. But its all in fun. Not intended to hurt anyones feelings. One of my best friends has a chrome bowtech guardian. And we Razz each other all the time. If I offended you. I apologize. Or as Bowman would say " My Humor Hurts People".

18. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

Your Humorous posts don't hurt my feelings or Bowtech's business:biggrin1:
    I learned to ignore the internet thumpers, whiners, and doomsayers long ago.:cool:

Dan

19. Pinwheel1969

thats funny!!! Your humor hurts!!:laugh:

20. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

One reason meanv is it is a big case of monkey see , monkey do. Do not get me wrong I own 2 Bowtechs. But this is why sells are so high. I have to hand it to Bowtech sales department did great with ads and promos. But I have seen people I know who shoot lower end bows. The first time they see my old Patriot and see Bowtech on the limbs. Well it is the way they act. Like I have a gold bow. But if the see my 06 Hoyt Pro Elite I get not reaction. So the point is witch bow is worth more, won more tour. and has a higher reslae. It is Bowtech's sales department that put them on top. It shure is not there dealers or reps. But I am not getting into to that. I will say this I will call Bowtech first for all need on my bows from now on.