new bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by drew5265, Nov 7, 2007.

1. drew5265

drew5265 Junior Member

I just got a jennings bow and the draw weight is 45lbs... I was wondering if that could bring down a deer? If so from how far? I also need some suggestions on arrows and broadheads that arent to expensive

Thanks

2. ILhunter16

ILhunter16 Member

You would have to check your state hunting laws about the min. draw weight, i now in IL it is 40 pounds min, i know it is different in other states. But yes 45 pounds will kill a deer with the proper shot placement, stay away from the major bone structures like the shoulder. the Deer could go 2 yards or 300 yard it just depends on the shot. For arrows i would suggest the Carbon Express Terminator series, fairly cheap. For broadheads you want to go with fixed broadheads not mechanicals, like muzzys, slicktricks etc and :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: and another thing practice practice and practice

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Hey is this Drew tha mighty

4. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I am wondering the same thing :noidea:

5. I missed

I missed Senior Member

i would also suggest using a cut in contact broad head:peace: it takes less KE for more penatration

6. drew5265

drew5265 Junior Member

i just got my bow raised about 3-4 lbs...what do yall think would be the greatest distance I could kill a deer

7. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

It all depends on your confidence level and comfort zone...I would say you could make a clean kill inside 30 yrds...but you may only be comfortable inside 20...

8. compoundxx75

compoundxx75 Member

no its not me. I shoot 70lbs. Sorry, im on dads computer

9. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha there.

Check your game laws in your state on the bow weight.
    Arrows i would use heavy alluminum like 2216 XX75 eastons for KE on a already slow speed.
    The broadhead lead cutting edge fixed blade only, like a steel-force sabertooth
    Range 25yds or less.
    This is just my 2 cents.:biggrin1:

10. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

I would try to stick with cut on contact broadheads for lite pounded bows. Phatheads, Magnus, ect.