New FOB's

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Cameron, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

I orderd FOB's last Friday, and received them the following Monday!!! Well last night I finally got a chance to shoot them, and I can tell you now, I will no longer be fletching hunting arrows.:rockon:

As soon as I can shoot on a windy day, I really want to see how they perform.

2. piethon

piethon Member

This might sound stupid, but what are FOBs???

3. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

4. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

seems like a neat idea.

I dont think they would fly thru my wisker bisquit though :D

rick

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

How think ar ethe 'vanes' ?
    They look like they may not fit through some 2 prong rests.

Ron

6. thehairlessone!

cameron,
    i just watched all the videos and did alot of reading. Seems like a neat product.

You have to use a drop away though so I dont know if I would ever be able to use them or not. I would definately try them if I used a drop away though.

rick

7. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

Must use a drop away rest, and the recommend rest is a Drop Zone. I already had a DZ on my bow, so I am good to go.

This product is definatly better than sliced bread.

8. poorshot

poorshot Senior Member

FOBs

I really like mine also. 60 yards and beyond they will really surprise you.

9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

How much to they weigh as opposed to vanes+nock ?

Also, the lengthen the arrow a fair amount. With the weight does that mess up FOC ?

Not being critical, just curious if there are tuning issues that go along with using those.

Thanks,
    Ron

10. red44

red44 Senior Member

Weight is supposedly not much more than three 4" vanes, they don't lenthen the arrow ( OK mabey a 1/32" or so).
    Tuning issues are limited to having a drop-away and getting clearance of the rest and cables. If you can shoot blazers without contact you likely can shoot FOBs. Depending on your drawlenth and ATA, you may have contact with the edge of the FOB at full draw, mine barely touches my chin.
    I've not commited to shooting only FOBs but they are interesting and shoot well. I did have to work on rest timing and spring tension to get clearance but hey, it only makes sure my regular fletching is'nt contacting either. I was getting a bounce up with the trophy taker that I was not aware of.

11. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

FOB weight is 25 grains, and they only add about 1/32 inch..

I have not checked my FOC yet, but other reports say that the FOB's are a LOT less sensitive to FOC then fletchings.

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

how much does a dozen fobs cost??

13. red44

red44 Senior Member

http://www.starrflight.com/ Check them out here. Paul Morris is the owner and he's great about answering any ?s you have. I bought a tube just to see what all the hubub was about. Jury is still out for me if they are better than regular fletching, but they are certainly no worse. He designed them specificly for broadhead/hunting, if anyone has a question on how they handle broadheads.

14. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

$20 for a bakers dozen..

15. SilentSniper

SilentSniper Senior Member

FOB's are the real deal. Here are mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. thehairlessone!

17. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I seen those at the shop last year and although they flew good I would not put them on my hunting arrows because I hunt with the WB. As for the DZ rest:frusty:

18. red44

red44 Senior Member

For the record, I'm using a trophy taker and a limbdriver. The limbdriver was the easier of the 2 to get clearance. I believe Paul recomends the Drop Zone, but I also heard the DMI Expert works well too.

19. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

I'm interested, but not sold yet. I do have a drop zone collecting dust on a shelf though. :whistle:

Ben

20. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

Well, get it installed before Saturday morning, and you can shoot the FOB's at the practice range...

Just make sure the rest pulls the arrow up late in the draw cycle!!