New forum member

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Instinctive_Shooter, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Instinctive_Shooter

Instinctive_Shooter Junior Member

Hello everyone im new to the forum. Im from Upstate NY and I enjoy bowhunting whitetails. Who else is from NY and where about? Thanks everyone I hope im welcomed

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

:welcome: to the forum. I'm in Ulster County, Town of Gardner.
    How about you?

Ed

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. Illinois here.

4. whitetail99

whitetail99 Senior Member

How are those N.Y whitetails? It my understanding you have less pressure on the deer on average over there. Here in Michigan lots of areas have some serious hunting pressure.

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Welcome to our humble home......Kingston area here......less pressure from the woods, but more pressure from road hunters and pre-season poachers.......

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Hey there Instinctive_Shooter WELLCOME to the forum.:welcome: Glad to have you with us. :peace:

7. Instinctive_Shooter

Instinctive_Shooter Junior Member

Thanks everyone. Im from Ithaca NY near Elmira and Corning NY do you know where that is?

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Wait let me get this straight... people from NY breaking the law? NEVER! :noidea: (sorry that was a horrible generalization, sorry :) )

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

why is that evryone that lives above Westchester thinks they live in Upstate....Ithaca is more central or western NY.....upstate would be like I dont know....maybe the Adirondacks......

But to answer the question yes I was thru there on friday.....went to state fair.....your like two and half hours from me.....

10. Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife Senior Member

New York

Southern Indiana is home for me. Good deer hunting but a lot of pressure. Welcome to the club, I'm fairly new and it's a great place to hang out!!:welcome:

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

It's because when you say your from NY most people think NYC. So north of Westchester is upstate.
    Like 50 yrs ago when Westchester was the Country.:noidea:

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

We've got some high pressure areas here too, but we also have alot of are as that don't get pressured. The area where Bowman and I are gets some pressure from hunters from the city. We are about 1-2 hours north of NYC, and we have alot of public lands.
    Another 2 hours north is the Adirondack state forest, lower pressure and big bucks, and Nothern Zone season opens just over 2 weeks:clap2:

13. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

From Gouverneur, NY (45min N. of Watertown). There was some beautiful State Land here, about 4500 acres, 5 minutes from the house. Almost no pressure because most people didn't go in there. (some story about too much iron in the soil and the compass wouldn't work and too much land to get lost in) But recently the neighboring farm sold to a developer who turned it into about 20 camps:Cry: . No you can't move in there without seeing someone else with a shoot'em up attitude.:mad:

14. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Hi, welcome. I just joined this site a week and a half ago and it's been nice and helpful. Nice people...

I'm at the border of Northwestern Illinois and Iowa (Rock Island, IL). I used to work at a big 6 consulting firm and sepnt a lot of time in Westchester, NY. That's a really nice area around there, especially out near the Westchester County Airport. I've heard NY state is a really nice place out of the cities but really never experienced that. I only had the experience in Westchester and going to NYC all the time for business. I'll pass on NYC...

Hunting pressure is only bad around here during black powder and shotgun seasons. Bowhunting is the method of choice here for sure if you want to fill a freezer. There's not a lot of people and a lot of farm land. A lot of the local farmers will give you hunting permission, archery only, for a case of beer or two if you ask nicely and show respect to them. The group I'm in has 6 places in the area that we hunt. We've been working on stands the past couple of weekends. October is coming up fast...

Ron