New... same ol... noob questions

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Mr Wiggl3s, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Mr Wiggl3s

Mr Wiggl3s Junior Member

Hi

I've never shot a bow before but its something that i would like to take seriously.. So im wondering where to get started..

First, whats the difference between 3D and target? I read the FAQ but it really didn't help differentiate the 2.

Second, probably the 30,000th time its been asked... What bow to get..... I know i should go get some help.. Ill goto a shop tomorrow and look at what they got.. Im looking to get a Hoyt Ultra Elite... :cool:

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Welcome.

3D is generally associated with shooting at 3 dimensional animal targets. You'll usually walk through the woods and shoot at foam animal targets from unknown or sometimes know distances. Being able to estimate yardage is important for this game.

"Target" is used loosely to describe a few different games. Most of the time it is referring to shooting Indoors. You will shoot at a bullseye type target from 20 yards at one of a couple different target types (5 spot or 3 spot). "Target" can also refer to Field archery. Here you shoot at bullseye type targets from varying ranges but the ranges are know distance. It has longer shots than the others and the terrain is similar to 3D...you just shoot at paper instead of foam.

Best advice I can give you is to visit an archery shop and tell them what you want to do. Let them measure your draw length and shoot several different bows to find the one you like. Better advice is to visit multiple shops. Being new yourself, you'll have a harder time knowing if one shop knows what they are doing. By visiting a couple, you can decide that based on what each says.

3. bamaboydave

bamaboydave I'm with Firechic

couldnt of said it better, welcome to 3dshoots:welcome: