new string stretch

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Scrotang, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Scrotang

Scrotang Junior Member

Hey everybody,
    I just got a new string (Vapor Trail I think) put on my bow and I was just wondering how much stretch is expected. I'm only asking because I was shooting it and my sight was off, but only by one pin. Then I shot some more and it was dead on at 20 yards with my 5th pin that isn't even sighted in. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

not supposed to be any. get a hold of vapor trail on this.

3. Scrotang

Scrotang Junior Member

I checked out their website and it said that their strings will sometimes add up to 10fps to the bow. If that is true then it must have slowed mine down quite a bit for me to have to raise my aiming point so much. the only thing I have in my string is a peep and a loop. I did have some Neet buttons on the string before but I don't think that would affect things that much to change my sight byat least an inch. I'm staring at my bow and everything is right.:frusty: Can anyone explain this to me? Sorry for the long posts, I just got back into shooting about 2 month and $250 dollars ago

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I bet something is off, or out of place, the other thing you can check is the number of strands in you old string vs the new one.....

5. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Contact vapor trail, I am sure they can take care of you. If they don't I would suggest a stone mountain string. I had a SM string and cable set put on my old reflex before I sold it. Set the loop, peep, paper tuned it, shot it 20 times to sight it in, peep never rotated a bit. The guy who bought it has shot it about 300-500 times and it's still on! I'm sold on Stone Mountains! I bought a set of wolfdens (per advice on 3dshoots) to put on my trykon but I am waiting until the end of the season.

6. Maybee-R

Maybee-R Member

did you measure your peep hight on the old string?
    and is the peep the same with the new string?
    Those speed buttons will make a difference up to 8fps on my bow. witch is about a 1/2 inch on the target.

7. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

I was thinking peep also. You may also want to double check your axle to axle and Brace height. It's not uncommon to have to add or remove some twists to a new string. I the string is stretching, you will notice your peep rotating. My first string I made I wen to take the first shot and the peep, did about 2 complete rotations! :doh:

Ben

8. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Stone Mountain might be fair for compound strings but my friend ordered a recurve string from them and after 5 times it's still wrong....:frusty: Our pro shop ordered them as I would have told them to stuff it after the 3rd try or maybe sooner.

9. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Our shop used to carry strictly vapor trail, but after some trouble with them not standing behind their products we dropped them and now Stone Mountain does all our aftermarket strings.

10. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

After I twist up my strings they get cranked up to 300lbs where they sit until they stop stretching. Then I do my serving. I think most do the same thing.

I don't understand how a string can continue to stretch once put on a bow.:noidea:

11. Scrotang

Scrotang Junior Member

no I didn't measure the peep height, but it is roughly the same. i haven't shot today do ya'll think I should just adjust my sights and get back to busting X's or should I get the buttons put back on.

12. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

Re adjust and shoot it! Pretty much anything you do to a bow will cause you to have to sight in. Try scooting the peep down a little first, and see if that helps. It doesn't have to move much to throw things off.

Try this-

Close you eyes, come to full draw, find your anchor point. Open your eyes when you comfortably in your anchor, and adjust the peep accordingly. Then readjust the sight.

Ben

13. Scrotang

Scrotang Junior Member

Thanks Ben, and I love my sling by the way, thanks for the tip I will try that tomorow.

14. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

Thanks! Let us know how it works out.

Ben

15. Scrotang

Scrotang Junior Member

got my peep adjusted and everything works fine now. had to adjust my sight a little bit but only about an eighth inch. now i need to get back to shooting regularly I have only been able to shoot about 2 times in the last 2 weeks and i'm getting the itch. best wishes to all and bow season is coming back around.