New to 3D Shooting "NEED HELP"

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by LABLEVENS, Feb 19, 2006.

1. LABLEVENS

LABLEVENS Member

I'm just getting into 3D archery,I have only shoot spot and my Q3 is set up for spots,My ?'s Need to know what type of arrows to used ?And I have a sure loc scope on my Q3 ,And should I go over to a pin sight for 3D ?Thanks for the help.Lynn

2. dbowers

dbowers Member

Lynn, I take it your shooting big aluminum arrow since your set up for spots? IMO if you're just starting and want pick up a few FPS you could get yourself some carbon arrows.
    As far as your site I would stick with your sure-loc. You may have to change your lens depending what power you have in now. IMO a 4X lens is more then enough for 3d.

Hope that helps some?

3. Hiawatha

Hiawatha Junior Member

Carbons are a must. I think I'de start out with what ever site I was most comfortable and watch what other people in your class are winning with. Get good with what you've got first.

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I am now using the cx linejammers for indoor and 3-d. Get them points where ever you can, was shooting 3d-selects for 3d and was averaging a 260-270 on a 28 target course (thats what we have here 28) and when I went to linejammers a instantly went up to between 270-274. I used to get beat by 2-3 points now my wins are by an average of 5 points. I like fat shafts. they are my freinds:biggrin1:

5. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Hi Lynn, I dont see why you couldnt use the same arrows for 3d as you use for spots, i guess it all depends on how heavy they are and how fast they shoot, You need to pay attention to the rules of the shoots your going to, some places wont allow anything over 280 fps, some are ibo shoots, so your arrow must weigh atleast 5 grains for every lb of draw weight. and some will only allow up to a 23 size arrow. I have ran into this a few times and had to make some changes before the shoot. If your just going to some local fun shoots, they pry will let you shoot what you bring, if your going to compeat on a higher level, might want to talk to some of the other shooters about rules and things, The faster your bow shoots, the less pin gap you have, this allows you a little more leway with how far the target is, if your shooting at a target 40 yards away, you shooting 250 fps, and you shoot if for 35 yards, you might miss, but if your bow shoots 280 fps, and shoot the same target for 35 yards, you will not miss as bad.

6. srcarlso

srcarlso Member

3d

Glad to here you will be shooting 3D! If you are shooting the large OD arrows (26/64), they will likley not provide the speed you need to offset yardage estimate errors. I would recommend trying an arrow such as the Linejammers or Fatboys which will get you the speed and stiffness needed while still maintaining a decent OD. With my Hoyt Ultratec, I end up shooting about 282 FPS (crono'd) at 62# with a 350grain arrow using Fatboy 400s.

I shot my Xjammers (spot arrow) through my crono at the same poundage and lost 30 fps. Granted, my spot arrow is 515 gr.

7. LABLEVENS

LABLEVENS Member

Thanks for the help,I have a doz. of the EASTON ACC SUPERLITE that I was going to use for field.But no field archery around here.And I just pick up a doz. CHEETAN 525, and I'm putting Quik Spin vanes on.Thanks again, I'll let you know how it works out. Lynn

8. siah135

siah135 bow hunter

deer crazy !!!!

so if iam thinking of bieing a new bow and whant to get a x foures bow madness bow . dose any one know if its a good bow to get ?:cool: