New to archery and need some help.

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Nowonmai, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Nowonmai

Nowonmai New Member

A friend of mine recently set up a small archery range in his back yard so we could get our shooting fix without spending a ton of money on ammo for our guns and yesterday I bought a Hoyt Heat super slam for $75 bucks to take over there and shoot. My question is how do I adjust the pull weight? It is set to it's max of 70# and I would like to take it down to 50# while I get used to the bow. Eventually I would like to go hunting with it so any other info or tips you have about this bow would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Welcome to tha site:welcome:
    I don't do many hoyts
    but most bows have limb bolts
    these are located at the bottom of the limb
    you can turn them out or back them off as we say and usally you can get 4 lbs per 1 full turn of both bolts
    now you have to be sure that your tiller is set to manafutures specs
    a good pro shop would be helpful or a hoyt knowlegable fellar.
    enjoy and keep shooting those renewable bullets
    did somebody say archery was a green sport:laugh:

3. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

My suggestion is to take the Bow to a Pro shop and have the guy there make you initial adjustments and have him show you how. I've never seen a bow that can be adjusted 20#'s. Adjusting out the limb bolts too far can be extremely dangerous Also at the shop they can adjust your draw length if needed and this also is a critical part of archery. Have him setup your bow properly and you won't be disappointed and is definetly worth the minimal cost.REMEMBER SAFETY FIRST. The cost at the pro shop is not bad and definetly worth the piece of mind. A bow not properly set up is not only useless but can be extremely dangerous depending on the situation. Also not adjusting the limb bolts properly will possibly affect you cam timing, Brace height and the performance of the bow in general. You won't be disappointed. A bow must be set to the individual.

Also :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  4. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Not to hijack this thread, but that can be worked into a heck of a slogan for us here.

5. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Also forgot to add that your draw weight will affect the arrows that you can use. Once your draw length is established, you arrow weight and spline will change accordingly to your draw weight. an underweight and under-splined arrow can litteraly explode (shatter) upon release and can go thru your hand or worse. I can't stress enough that an improperly setup bow and improper arrows can be very dangerous.

6. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

yes sir Mo
    that would be really posh
    I just anin't sold on all this greenie stuff
    i think they ARE TRYING TO GIT THE WHOLE WORLD ON THIS KICK TO BRING US INTO A NEW world ORDER WHICH MEANS GIVING UP OUR NATIONAL SORVENITY:usa:
    Now You don't want me to go there:usa: :usa: :usa: