Newbie here looking for advice

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Electrobes, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Electrobes

Electrobes New Member

Hey y'all (Practicing this here accent of mine)

I recently moved to South Carolina from Florida and am now in country territory... and love it. I am into airguns but a friend of mine got me interested in this small town's sport: Bowhunting. I decided to get a bow but figured not only would I get opinions from my friend, but out here too. I am basically looking to hunt rabbits, squirrels, possibly hogs. My friend claims he'll get me into deer, but we'll see about that. :D

Now there's a store here (in town) that has a nice bow section, and the people there seem straight forward to me. Old timers who like to tell interesting stories and seem to know a lot of stuff, always willing to give you advice. Their website is only showing package deals (I think this website is flagging the site as spam, so I can't post it.) for the three brands the only carry: PSE, Browning, and Bowtech. They sell both barebones and package deals.

Since I am a beginner I'll see if they have something used for my size (6', 185 lbs). From what you guys see in that store... would you suggest something from there (As they only carry 3 brands) or suggest getting a bow online? I know they have more bows than what you see (They are only showing packages), and my budget at the moment is about 400 bucks.

Appreciate the input!

2. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

If you plan on staying in the area and find something you like at the local store, I'd say buy from them. Maybe a little more likely to remember who you are. I think having a first name bases relationship with someone "on the inside" would be really nice. And:welcome: to the forum.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008

3. Electrobes

Electrobes New Member

Yeah I am definitely looking at buying here in town as I am a beginner and a post in a thread somewhere on this site made a good point: The help you get from people in your area is priceless.

From what I've read thus far on this site PSE and Bowtech are good brands. I will try out the bows they have to offer me in my budget, and will go from there. I am really excited to start, and even more so to go on a hunt. Rabbits... beware! :lol:

4. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
    My best suggestion would be to figure your budget on what you wish to spend ($400)and then go to as many ProShops and talk to the people there and shoot as many bows as you can. Every bow has it's own feel and after you've shot quite a few you'll start to see which feels the best to you.
    Picking out the "right" bow is an individual process and must feel right to you. Don't get hung up in the brand name war. All the companies now days make good bows and each has it's Pro's and Con's.

Also a good site to go to and read (I'm not suggesting to buy your bow there) is hunter's friend. Read in the "technical Help" portion and it explains a lot about brace heights, draw lenghts arrow spines etc. Good place to start a knowledge base.
    http://www.huntersfriend.com/index.htm

5. Electrobes

Electrobes New Member

Thanks for the advice.The reason why I asked about brands was more of what I should limit myself to and search within all those models, as opposed to trying out models of brands that many of you dislike. Since I am new, I wouldn't recognize loudness, durability, etc right off the bat by trying them out. It would have to be determined by experience while target shooting or out on the hunt. It's why I came here... basically to subsitute your experience into my decision :D

I am going over today to try some out and see what they have in my price range. Hopefully I'll be able to grab a mid-level bow for that price. Hunter's Headquarters is really the only shop I know of with a good selection while still having the small shop advice available, in this small town that I live in.

I'll let y'all know about it when I get back :wave:

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome to the site Electrobes...

Pse and Bowtech are both great brands, also Mathews, Hoyt, Pearson...
    Just about everything out today is good equipment.

The reason you couldn't post a link was you are less then 5 post in your count...once you get more you can post links...

7. dacian 1381

dacian 1381 New Member

pse stinger ni

what you think about pse stinger ni?i am from romania and i am thinking to buy one.i never had an bow still now.i am 180 cm tall,and i have 82 kg

8. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

That's going to confuse a lot of people. Myself included. Sorry to sound ignorant but could you change that over to feet, inches and pounds. As for as the PSE Stinger. I have never shot one so I can't say anything about it. I'm sure someone else on this forum will be happy to say more on it.

Either way, welcome to the forum.:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

A choice of a bow is a personal decision. All the makers make a good bow. Each has it's own "Pro's and Con's". Figure out what exactly you want to use it for.Whether you use it for target shooting, 3D or hunting will influence your decision. Figure out your budget that you wish to spend including appx. $200.00 for the sights, rests, release etc. then go to as many Pro shops as you can and talk to the people there. They will guide you to their bows in your price range and tell you about each of them. Natually they will try to sell you one that they stock. Most importantly shoot as many of them as you can and get the "feel" of each. After awhile you will be able to judge what feels the best to YOU. Take your time. You will be the one shooting it, not I or anyone else on here. We can give recommendations by what feels good to us but in the the end you have to determine what is the best for you. Take your time, ask questions and look at as many as you can and I mean that about the bow, the rests and the sights. Archery is a great hobby. Good luck on your choice, Have fun, Practise and welcome to the forum, the Country and the Hobby.

9. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

About 5'11" / 180#

10. dacian 1381

dacian 1381 New Member

i bought one martin saber se,55-70lbs,it feels better,unfortunately you can"t find compound bows in romania so i bought it from hungary where are more expensive than in the usa,i paied about 1200 $ for this one with nap quicktune 2100 rest,truglo sight,cobra release,nap 500 stabilizer and 4 pse radial arrows.