newbie in Maryland needs tons of advice

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by unfried, Mar 6, 2008.

1. unfried

unfried New Member

Hello, this is my first post to any internet forum. My name is Eric. I'm 30yrs old and live in Baltimore, MD. When I was young I hunted and fished constantly because my father was an avid outdoorsman. However, I grew up, went to college, got a job, got old, ect. The last time I shot a bow was in my highschool archery club (has it been 13 years?!!???). There are no good pro shops that I know of within a reasonable driving distance from me, so when I decided to get back into archery/ bowhunting, I had to rely on online stores/ebay. I recently bought a PSE X-Force 7 online. it is 60-70lbs draw weight. Can anyone reccommend good carbon arrows for that bow set at 65-70lbs, preferably ones that can be bought online. I am 6'2" tall and 205lbs. I will probably need to start working out to pull this bow (from what I have read). I have guesstimated my draw lenth at 30", but I don't know with these new-fangled releases and D-loops exactly what my draw length will be- but I hear the X-force can be easily changed with mods without a bow press.
    I got a whisker biscuit QS rest and 5-pin copper john lit sights and a doinker hunter stabilizer. I will be using this bow for hunting and non-comp target shooting. ****Questions:
    1. Was this a dumb choice for a first bow after not shooting for a decade?
    2. Arrow choice HELP: length, grain weight, spine, brand, ect.
    3. I would like to join Baltimore Bowman or other local archery club (21234 zip)--- any members info would be appreciated.
    4. any info of any kind regarding archery, bow setup/tuning, or hunting would be appreciated-------------------------Thanks!

2. :welcome: to the site, I don't think you made a bad choice on your bow, as for the arrows and draw length I will let some of the other guys answer that for you. They might want a side and back profile picture of you drawing your bow to help you with some of your questions, and please make sure you have an arrow knocked on your bow before drawing it back for the pics.

3. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

The bow is a good choice if you feel comfortable with it. It in itself is a good bow.
    Personally I would make the extra effort to find a Pro shop and make the trip. It isn't something that you have to do everyday but the proper Draw length is IMPORTANT Also the correct arrow size and spline etc. are determined by you Draw weight and Draw length. Not done correctly can be dangerous. This in one area a "guess-ta-mate" is not good.
    You stated the bows draw weight as 65 or 70 lbs...5 lbs difference can make a difference in you arrow selection. I would start out at a low DW and get the muscles used to it. I shoot my bow at 60. Your arms and shoulders will thank you in the long run. Do yourself a favor and take the trip to a Pro Shop, in the long run you'll be happier. Your bow MUST fit you. You'll thank me and yourself later.

And welcome to the forum.:welcome: :welcome:

4. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

First and foremost :welcome:
    I have had a ton of questions answered here there are a lot of knowledgeable people here. Far more so than me I just wanted to welcome you is all.

5. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

:welcome: to your first forum :D This is only my second forum ever.

I agree with MoSkeeter0311, a trip to a pro shop would be worth it. Maybe you should call them first and tell them you are coming and hopfully they will set some time aside for you to make sure they can help you with all your questions.

6. my3sons&I

my3sons&I New Member

I just googled "Archery shops in Baltimore Maryland" and you have a bunch to choose from. Try that and go see a pro to get you set up. :welcome:

7. my3sons&I

my3sons&I New Member

http://www.deercreekarchery.com/ this place is about 45 minutes oustide of
    Baltimore. Looks like it could be some use to you and me as well if I lived in Baltimore. The pro shop also carries and services PSE bows as well.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  8. unfried

unfried New Member

thanks

thanks for all the replies! I mapquested deercreek archery and it is about 40 minutes from my house. I plan to drive up next week and buy some arrows, a target, and to see if one of their pro shop guys can help tuning my bow.
    By the way, I just recieved my PSE X- force-7 this morning. (It was in transit when I first posted) The thing is so lightweight compared to the old style compounds that it feels like I'm holding a child's bow I can actually pull it fairly easily, although the limb bolts are not torqued quite all the way down. I will see if the prostaff will set it at a definitive 65lbs (for now!). Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--Eric

9. my3sons&I

my3sons&I New Member

Nice, and good luck with them. Your a man with patience! If it was me with a new bow in my hands I'd be there this weekend with bow and cash! Let us know how they do for you. Looks like a cool shop. :thumb:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  10. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

11. wp_bowmaster

wp_bowmaster Glad he is back!!!

:welcome: to the forum!!!!:peace: