Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by mrg8913, Apr 5, 2008.

1. mrg8913

mrg8913 New Member

Hi im new to this this forum and archery completely. I have always been interested and decided to buy a cheap compound bow at a pawn shop. I didnt want to invest too much money before i tried. It is a "usa spirit" has a draw weight of 23 weight range of 30, 65% letoff, 874 cable tune, and 35" dacron string (this is all taken from the label on the bow itself). This doesnt really mean anything to me but i suppose it would to others and give you a better idea of what im working with.

I would like to learn more and have a bit of land which i can practice on and would be very apreciative of anyone who can give me any tips or resources for starting out or if there are any clubs or schools close to my area. I live in the leeds and grenville county, in ontario,canada.

Thanks for any help. Much apreaciated. :)

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

usa spirit, sounds like a PSE......

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome to the forum and the sport
    Here is a link I found hope it helps you to locate a club...
    http://www.fca.ca/index.html

As for your bow info...
    It appears you have a compound bow with a maximum draw weight of 30 pounds and a 65% let off which means at full draw you are actually holding back 10.5 pounds...The string length is useful info to have if you need to order a replacement from a string maker.

as for the model of the bow I am not familiar with them at all. But if you can, post some pics and we will take a look.
    If you have any questions at all ask us we will help however we can.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  4. J.C.

J.C. New Member

:welcome: to the forum.....:wave:

5. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

welcome to the site

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yep, you're right they did make a USA Spirit...:doh: :D

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Remember before Mathews, I was a PSE junkie......:lol:

8. mrg8913

mrg8913 New Member

9. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

That's in great shape...
    So it's 23" draw length...How tall are you?

10. mrg8913

mrg8913 New Member

I'm about 5'8" tall.

11. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Are you left handed? because the bow is...:D
    Just asking...

To aim you need to anchor your draw consistantly in the same spot...
    I don't see a peep sight so you need to be sure you have a consistant anchor point or have a peep tied into the string...

Nock an arrow on the string under that brass ring, with the odd feather or vane out. make sure it is sitting on that flipper rest when you draw it. at full draw anchor your drawat the corner of your mouth(this is where the consistancy come into play, if you change the point of your anchor you will change the point of impact of the arrow)
    Then you need to line the pin on the target with your eye and release...

the top pin is for closer targets...the farther the target the lower the pin on the sight...

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

The draw length on that bow will most likely be a couple inches too short for you...You will most likely be in the 25-26" range...
    You can still shoot it better short than long, but your form will suffer a bit.

13. mrg8913

mrg8913 New Member

I feel comfortable using either hand so thats not a problem for me.

Ok I think i understand what you said sort of XD. Im assuming i want to aim with the eyes closest to the bow? And I want to position the nock close to where my mouth is and then use the pins to align the shot depending on the distance. The closer i am the higher the pin. Farther i am the lower the pin. I had gotten that but i wasnt sure how to go about consistency i thought since there is no peep sight i tilt my head and the pins still lign up...:dizzy: But what your saying is choose a consistent position and the pins will lign up.

Sorry if i ran in a few circles there... Oh by the way i thought i would shar the fact that i am an idiot and was shooting it into a homemade target and had set it up on a hill so the arrows didnt dissapear if i missed... I missed, I also have 2 ft of snow on the ground so i will be waiting a few days for my arrows :p

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  14. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yep you have the basic idea...You don't want to move your head. when you anchor you will aim with the eye above your anchor point(looking through the string) and raise or lower the bow to line the sight pin up...

the backstop is a great idea...:D

15. mrg8913

mrg8913 New Member

yeah i should have thought of that first. I think im going to but a few bails of hay to put behind it what would be sufficient no? oh btw by fluke i split a sapling in half... it was cool...and yes i was proud of myself :lol:

16. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yes Hay or straw bales make great backstops...you can put a piece of cardboard right on the bale and use paper targets as well or even a paper plate...:noidea:

As for the sapling...:thumb: :lol:

17. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

:welcome:

If you search around hard enough you can often find a good use "Mathews" at the local pawn shops...

Sometimes you can even land a whole set-up there. :bowl:

18. archer1983

archer1983 New Member

19. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

If you decide to stay with it I'd recommend going to a shop where they can measure your draw length, like the guys said too short a draw is better than too long but you'll shoot a bow better that fits you properly. Compounds aren't like recurves, they have to be set up for a specific draw length. You might touch the string to your nose as well, (if you can with the short draw length) - it will help insure a consistant anchor point.

20. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

me neither. :noidea:

Good luck with this thing.