Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by NChunter1, Aug 29, 2007.

1. NChunter1

NChunter1 Junior Member

I am new to the bow hunting thing, any tips will help. I need help with just a few things.

1-Is it easier to shoot with both eyes open or have 1 closed?

2- What is the easiest way to sight in a bow.

I have decent grouping now but I want to really get good with this thing. I am already in love with it. Any help in anyway will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

:welcome: NChunter1

You should shoot with both eyes open if you can. You'll be able to see deer better in low light conditions. The only reason you wouldn't be able to is if you're right handed and left eye dominant or vice versa.

When you ask about sighting in, do you mean tuning your bow to shoot better groups, or actual sighting in, to make your arrows hit where your sight is aiming?

3. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

welcome. practice over and over at 20, 30 and 40 yards, try shooting some 3D to sharpin you yardage skills. work in aiming and do not turn out like bowman.

4. NChunter1

NChunter1 Junior Member

J.C.--

I want to hit right where I am aiming. I have pretty decent shot groups as it is. I know you move the pins up and down and the sight left and right, but I dont know the easiest and quickest way to find that zero like I can a rifle.

I really appreciate the help so far.

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Tell us what kind of bow, sight, etc... Do you use a peep or a kisser or nothiing on the string ? Tell us a little about what you are shooting and how it is set up and we can help.

Welcome to the forum too !

Ron

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

:welcome: to the forum and archery, its a great sport.

As for sighting in, always chase your arrow. What I mean is if your arrow hits low of where you are aiming then lower your pin. If it hits right of where you are aiming then move you pin to the right. Chase you arrow. And have fun. Do you have any friends that you shoot with?? If not I would suggest you find an archery shop with a range and join the fun. Most guys are more than willing to help out a newb. Good luck and ask any question you have we are here to help each other.:peace:

7. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

Practice is your best friend. You can get all the coaching and help in the world. But you wont get good until you practice alot..
    I shoot w/ both eyes open myself. Just remember when your adjusting your sight- to always follow your arrow. If its shooting left. move it left ect...
    I would find a good pro-shop and get fitted. until your comfortable w/ doing your own work. theres nothing more frustrating than working on your bow more than you shoot it. Unless you own a Mathews!!!!!
    Uh OH!!! Here comes Bowman!!

8. BowhuntnHoosier

:mad: :mad: watch it bud.:biggrin1:

9. Pinwheel1969

Wow!!! you beat bowman to the punch!!!:laugh:

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome to the forum...these guys pretty much said it all...:biggrin1:

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

wasnt even gonna reply.....:laugh:

12. Pinwheel1969

Dang!!! Its not fun anymore....

13. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

:welcome:

Shooting with both eyes open is better if you can do it. Personally I have a hard time being consistent with both eyes open. That may be my old eyes though:doh:

Next is Practice, practice, practice ...etc.......

14. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

If you put the time in you will improve. There is no way to get around this. Find a good group of guys or a good pro shop and listen to what they have to say. I have found that I like to practice at longer distances than I would hunt at, it makes the closer shots seem easier.

15. NChunter1

NChunter1 Junior Member

Thank you all for the advice. I do have friends that shoot bows. I got myself a Parker bow from BPS. It is gonna be my starter bow. (I am saving for a Mathews Drenalin). It has a whisker biscuit, peep, pretty much dressed to go. I LOVE shooting it, i just wanna get as good as I possibly can with it. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks again for all the help.

16. BowhuntnHoosier

Cool, Parker makes some very nice bows. Just keep on shootin. And post us some pics. MAN LAW!!!!:tape:

17. hduc2005

hduc2005 Senior Member

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

18. Pinwheel1969

another matheeeews!! trust me, keep the parker :frusty: :frusty: lol j/k
    good luck...

19. BowhuntnHoosier

Ok now I've had it with you.............................bowman sit him down on the OAK(with your Mathews).:laugh: :p