newer bow?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by n2t, Feb 11, 2007.

1. n2t

n2t Senior Member

I just got into archery recently. Picked up a martin orion for 275 bucks. It shoots well, draws is smooth, but it's slow and I honestly don't know if I'll ever reach the limit of the 70 pound limbs. I'm pulling about 60 right now and don't know if I really need to pull higher poundage. I know it's got more "hand shock" than modern bows, doesn't have parallel limbs, nor a rear stabalizer hole for the STS (though I can front mount the STS anyway). I also can't get the speed above 226fps (it's IBO rated at 300fps) My question is, am I actualy gaining anything by switching to a bow like the drenaline with 60 pound limbs? Will I honestly be able to shoot faster, more accurately, longer or reap any real world bennefits from a "better" more modern and more expensive bow? The orion isn't one of martins "pro" bows it's one of their lower end. But what advantage will I get if I switch or is it even worth switching?

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I for one would have to say you need to shoot that bow for a while and get used to it and learn how to shoot, then upgrade and see the real benefits

all the upgrades in the world wont help a person who deosnt know how to shoot to begin with....look at me:biggrin1:

3. COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF,THANK'S BOWMAN

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Agreed...Shoot what ya got and learn to shoot it right...Then go from there...

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

isn't your girlfriend pulling 64 pounds or something like that? :doh:

You can get a full passthrough on a deer w/ 40 pounds man.

6. n2t

n2t Senior Member

she's pulling around 48lbs this is for me though. I am pulling around 60lbs. I was just curious on the diff between what's seen as a "high end" and a "low end" bow. Or so I was told was the case with the orion (it being "low end").

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

You will see a difference in how smooth the draw is and how fast it shoots but you'll still be pulling about the same weight.

If you want to look for a new bow I would strongly suggest checking out the Martin Bengal. its about 400.00 brand new and is one of (if not THE) best bow for the price tag

8. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Martian is one of the longest and quality bowerys in this country. They have quick service and a great tech support group.
    Just shoot what you got and enjoy it don't let everybody else opinion cause you to spend that $$ on something that you might not be satisfied with.

If it is hitting the spot keep on drilling it.:rockon: HS

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

dont forget to look at the mission line if the need for a new bow is still in your head.....

but I still stand by my previous statement....

10. n2t

n2t Senior Member

Sounds like there are no vast improvements over what I have. I'll probably spend a few bucks on a front mounted STS and enjoy my Orion. It shoots great I was just wondering what I was missing.