noob ? what are arrow wraps for

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by bowhunter21, Dec 28, 2007.

1. bowhunter21

bowhunter21 Junior Member

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

decoration, ease of refletching, and if they're real bright, they help you track your arrow in flight.

3. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Back a few years ago hunters would crest there arrows with paint and make fancy colored ring designs on their arrows. I was always told that cresting an arrow made it a little easier to watch the arrow in flight and to find it after the shot. Wraps basically take the place of the paint. They can be designed in a traditional way or can be custom desingened with basically anything you could think of put on them. Wraps are easier to put on than paint and I think are a little more durable than the paint. The only down side to wraps is paint is a little easier to get off. But wraps will come of too it just takes a little more work.

4. J.C.

J.C. New Member

soak them in hot water....:noidea:

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

yep!

All of the above.
    Also not mentioned paint is cheaper than wraps.
    I use them 2 track my arrow in flight nothing but white works for me.
    I also decorate for tournaments but some people use wraps to hide!:lol: :lol:

6. Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt Senior Member

I started using them for arrow flight and also identification. Now it is more a hobby and superstition. I enjoy cresting and fletching, but my hunting arrows have to be dipped white with blue cresting lines highlighted in black. two white vanes and one blue with a white nock. I put a line for each deer that has been taken with a the bow........ i need longer arrows next year.....:rockon:

7. bowhunter21

bowhunter21 Junior Member

lucky i only have one bow kill and it was a ground hog

yup thats it

8. IAHunter11

IAHunter11 Member

I disagree wraps are much cheaper... When you have a vinyl plotter:D .. Vinyl cost hardly anything.... I can get a 15" roll 30' long for $12 that makes a lot of wraps...

9. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

Mostly cosmetic, it also lets you show a little personality.

10. OA3D

OA3D Member

As stated. But I use mine to offset foc just a smidge and control arrow weight. I shoot very short arrows and my wraps are equal to an extra inch of carbon or to keep foc and use lighter smaller vanes:biggrin1:

11. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

yep!

I guess i didnt explain myself better, sorry:noidea:
    If u buy a can off crylon paint : white in Virginia it cost around $3 a can which can do dozens of arrows.
    If u buy white arrow wraps from a pro shop around here they are $6 to do 1 doz.

I use custom wraps with my name on them sometimes that cost $15 to do 1 doz arrows.

U do the math.:noidea:
    These are arrows i built for my recurve: $8 for 1 doz around here

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  12. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

Been messing around with address label and microsoft paint programs to make cheap wraps to personalize arrows. What is a vinyl plotter and where can I get a roll of vinyl?

13. nubo1

nubo1 New Member

But they're nice

Wrap's aren't cheap ,but they're nice . I usualy only go through a dzn arrow's every other year, I use 6 for strictly hunting and then 6 for shooting 3D ,so if wrap's cost me 15 dollar's ,really doesn't make much difference to me . I've bought severl dozen custom wrap's from Onestringer about 2 year's ago and I've only used 1 dozen so far.. But they do look real pretty and that's why i go with wrap's. I know you can get real fancy with the paint's too ,and I may try it in the near future .
    Someone else mentioned that it was difficult to get wrap's off over paint ,but if you use a hairdryer or dip them in hot water,they'll peel like a banana.

1] appearance
    2]bonding
    3]visibility
    4]extra rear weight

nubo