Not new to use, new to owning

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by nick112207, Sep 3, 2008.

1. nick112207

nick112207 New Member

Hey
    I've shot bows before and really love it, just never owned my own. Well i've decided that its about time i bought my own. Now i am looking at getting a simple long bow or recurve, i'm not a fan of compound bows. I've got a buddy who can help my find a good brand or even a good used one.

What i was wondering is if you can bow fish with a recurve or long bow or does it have to be done with a compound? Will any kits work for recurve if you can use them? Also could you take out turtles with them? My buddy has a few pesky snapping turtles in his pond he wants to get rid of but they won't go for any of the traps he set up for them. would using a bow and string work to catch them?

2. red44

red44 Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008

3. SandSquid

SandSquid Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

Snapping Turtles are pretty tough buggers… but can be down-right delicious if the turtles are cleaned properly.
    I've never hunted them with a bow but I have found that with a .22 a glancing shot my just ricochet off, especially when the projectile has to travel through any distance in the water.
    If I'm not going for a "hand catch" (due to outright fear of a monster size snapper) I use a .44 magnum (Single Action Revolver) and only take the shot if they are less that 6" submerged.

4. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

He man I have a take down custom long bow I will hook you up with. want to see photos. I got it in a trade for a target sight and scope.

5. nick112207

nick112207 New Member

thanks man but i have a buddy who is really into bows who is going to hook me up.

and only problem with shooting the turtle with a pistol is we are under 21, so no pistols for us, and his dad doesn't have any either. i just figured a good arrow and reel set on a bow would make it easy to get the turtles. you can see them just bellow the surface swimming around. and also a long with getting rid of them he wants to catch one to turn into some soup. a family friend of them said he'd do it if they caught one of the turtles, he's made it before just needs the turtle to do it

6. red44

red44 Senior Member

I'm not so sure how your going to make out getting an arrow through a snapper's shell, they're pretty tough.

7. nick112207

nick112207 New Member

thats what i was wondering, if the arrow would even be strong enough to pierce the shell to get the turtle

8. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

As kids, my brother killed many a carp with a 25# fiberglass recurve.

9. gamoboy

gamoboy New Member

recurves for bowfishing

i have 2 wooden recurve set ups that i use all the time. send me ur email and i will send you the pics of my set ups. they have never let me down
    :rockon:

10. Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone Senior Member

Bowfish

All I ever used bowfishing was a recurve.
    DB