old target bow

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by teekettle1, Aug 24, 2008.

1. teekettle1

teekettle1 New Member

hello everyone I would like to get back into target shooting.But times have changed so much, my question is that i don't want to buy a new bow right now. So can i use my browning pro 600 still,i know its old 12 years,but can it be done or am i wasting my time. the bow is in very good condition:noidea:

2. Paul S.

Paul S. I do not follow!

If you like it, shoot it. Or sell it, and try to find something newer used. Archery is as fun as you make it. The latest and greatest isn't always the best.:wave:

3. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Just because it is 12 years old does not mean it want shoot just as good as it did before

4. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

Believe me, with all the technolgical changes over the last 35 years bows are not more accurate. They are just somewhat easier to achieve a certain accuarcy level with, but it is still a function of how well the shooter an shoot.

My advice? Welcome back to the sport and have fun.

5. Radar

Radar Story of my life

i second that motion!!! I needed a partner for league a couple of years ago and got teamed up with a guy who has been out of it for 10yrs. He was shooting all the same target stuff he was shooting years ago....he started off with low scores(which is expected) and by the end of league he had already beaten his previous best scores. I have heard people say before that you need great equipment to shoot great scores....I dont really believe that too much since there is a guy in our club shooting a 98-99? ultratec and kinda peiced together equipment set the club record high score for our indoor 3d. no one in league or tourneys has ever shot that well.

p.s. the same guy that shot the club record also has a 2008 pro38 Hoyt with top of the line accesories and doesnt shoot it as well.......its all in what you are comfortable with.

6. teekettle1

teekettle1 New Member

thanks guys thats what i wanted to here! im back:peace:

7. older bow

Just remember that most if not all of the bows built in the last 15 or so years are capable of shooting a PERFECT score if you can get that ONE loose nut tightened.
    Just go out and have fun and if you really enjoy yourself you may find a good used bow that you really like and can buy real reasonable.
    Welcome back to archery.
    Charlie

8. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

You might hear that today's bows are easier to shoot because they have higher letoff. Your present bow is most likely in the 65% range. But most target shooters prefer to shoot with 50% to 65% letoff because the higher holding weight allows for more steady aiming and more use of the back muscles to go through the whole shot sequence. That's why some bow companies still make cams and/or modules with 65%.