Opening Morning

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by ILhunter16, Sep 25, 2007.

1. ILhunter16

ILhunter16 Member

I dont know if this is a stupid question, but bear with me.... I still have no idea where im going to be hunting on opening morning....:doh: I basicly have a choice of 20+ treestands in various locations that i could hunt out of, all good spots. But what i want to now is where you would be hunting opening morning:noidea: (ex. Freshly picked corn field, Open Praire,Creek bottoms)

2. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

I ponder the same question...

I will be in a thick, low area that is a travel route between the hay/corn field, and a nice big bed area.

3. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

ill be in the woods

4. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Is there any Bottle necks comming out of that cut field.One of the problems i've had with cut corn fields where i live is that the deer are usually out of them long before 1st light.

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I would normally go for a freshly picked corn field but nothing is picked around here yet but sweet corn, not feed corn. So, I'm going to put my climber up a tree next to a corn field if I can find an area adjacent to where the deer have flattened it, and just take it from there.

Ron

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

early season, I say corn feild...:biggrin1:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

thats cuz you are a corny hunter.......:laugh:

I wont be out opening morning:mad: :censored: :frusty:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

you, you, you, it's always about you...:laugh:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

hey goofy, you gonna change that signature????

10. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I hope to be sitting alond a small patch of oak trees watching the deer and turkey.:D

11. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

It depends on the weather. If its cold, id be heading to a bedding/transition from feeding to bedding. If its hot, head towards water. I personally dont like hunting over food in the morning, because early in the morning when its still dark and I'm walking to my stand, the deer are still out feeding in the fields. I walk in the timber as much as possible when its dark. Once it gets light, the deer will start walking back into the timber to bed down....I'll be waiting there MWAHAHAHAHA :laugh:

12. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Why dont ya go do some scouting, look around some stands for deer tracks, rubs, ext...... Get out the spotting scope and look for them at dusk and dawn! I do alot of pre season scouting. Ill tell ya it will pay off.

13. ILhunter16

ILhunter16 Member

ive done the scouting im just asking.

14. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Them creek bottoms are good if you can find the trails going to them/crossing them.If there's water in the creek...thats a +.They like to get a drink after feeding.

15. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

well thats hard to say. In my situation I cant hunt the mornings. The food plot is to close to the bedding areas and the deer are already in the field when we get there. So its a after noon hunt... You'll have to figure out bedding areas, travel routes, and feeding areas. In our area the bucks are still in there bachelor groups. So they tend to hang up in staging areas and hit the food sources later. Until the rut starts I'll see them in the fields more. I'd spend a couple of days glassing the corn field to see where the deer coming from. Then set a few stands 10 yds. in on areas that favor the wind. also, creek bottoms work really well if they are using them to gain access to food sources or bedding areas. what I like to do when I'm hunting an area I'm not familiar with is get my climber and set on the edge of a field and glass the area for bucks.. good luck..

16. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I'll probably be sitting next to a creek amongst the red oaks. :rockon:

17. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Yep........I'm gonna sit near water......if I can find any......:cool:

18. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Ill be in my white oak tree on my food plot by the alfalfa field, there is a creek that runs about 30 yards from our plot. Biggest factor is the wind! Hunt whatever stand the opening day wind direction works the best for you!

19. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

ill be sitting on the side of the road.... "deer love the road" haha.....

20. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

sorry its from a movie...... escanaba in da moonlight.... very funny