Opinion on stabilizer lengths

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Mathewsju, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Mathewsju

Mathewsju New Member

Right now I'm on a 3d league. One of the rules is that the stabilizer length on any bow can be a max of 14". Me and a few other top shooters all have a front stab under 14", but we also have offset brackets with stabs on the backs of our bows. The club has a pic of a bow with only a front stab and says the max is 14". Right now, if you add the total of my front and back stabs I'm 2" over at 16" as well as a few others.People have seen the bows and nobody has complained or has said anything in reguards to the back stabs and the overall length. What's your opinion on how legal this is?
    Thanks, Mathewsju!

2. NerdHick

NerdHick New Member

to me that means the front stab has to be less than 14" and there are no side bars allowed....in my eyes the two go hand in hand.

I'd say the rule is meant to keep things to hunting set up's, just my 2 cents.

3. Dooby

Dooby Scooby Dooby Doo!

I agree with NerdHick. Any rules I've seen have put stab max length on there with the INTENT of resembling a typical hunting setup. That means a single front stab not exceeding 12" (14" in your case) from the front of the riser to the end of the stab. No side or rear stabs. The clubs around here are explicit about it.

If the limit is 14" and you're at 16", then I'd say your not legal. If you are shooting well and not winning...no harm (except maybe to your ego if you get called out and can't reproduce your scores). If you ARE winning, then ethically I believe you should disqualify yourself. The rules aren't there just for people who gets caught. They are there as an attempt to better regulate the playing field. In short...not following the letter OR intent of the rule is still cheating...whether you're ignorant of it or not.

You may find posters that condone cheating to win...but I don't think you'll find a lot on this board. The people here, in my experience thus far, are some of the most ethical, helpful and knowledgeable archers assembled anywhere.

:welcome: and thanks for sharing your dilemma with us. At the end of the day it's your choice to make...and you may be the only one that ever knows (but you'll ALWAYS know).

4. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

I think they hit the nail on the head.
    My set-up would put me in Open class, my shooting ability doesnt,so I shoot for fun and take my card home with me if there is any prizes or if they are placing anyone. If not I turn it in.

Also you probally could go to like a MBR calss that allows longer stabs?

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

The others seem to be right however I'll ask the question about what the specifc printed rules are ? A picture is sometimes not worth a thousand words.

Just ask them what their classes are and the specifc rules about stabs, sights, lenses, etc....

I never try and assume what some non-specific rules mean. Go ahead and ask the guy(s) that run it so you're clear.

IBO hunter rules for a stab have no provision for side/rear bars..... For example. And I believe the max stab length in that class is 12".

I think you should just ask the guys putting on the shoot(s).

Also, if those shoots are not sanctioned they might have 'non standard' rules and allow people to bend them a bit because those shoots are for 'fun' and to create friendships and grow the sport of archery. There is not a thing wrong with that at alll...

Ron

6. Mathewsju

Mathewsju New Member

My club doesn't have "classes" in the sense thier is only one... no frestyle or anything, it more like Bowhunter freestyle. Also, this isn't a sanctioned shoot, so I will ask the club guys what they think (I don't think they even have a written rule book its pretty layed back).
    Thanks Mathewsju!

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Good advise here. Just check with the guys running the shoot and maybe have them type up some rules to play by that way no one can complain later. I shoot for fun so I just take my card home at the end of the shoot. I would say that if the rules do not state anything about the rear bars then maybe they should.:peace:

8. Mathewsju

Mathewsju New Member

Talked to the guys who run the shoot and they said, it doesn't matter if I'm over an inch or two. As long as me or anyone else is shooting an unlimited stab (30" or more) its not a big deal. Anyway I'll still try the next time without my rear bar.
    Thanks for the input!