Opinions please

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by scottg, Mar 9, 2008.

1. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

I am looking to swap over to a new arrow. I have been looking at the Gold tip Ultralight Pro 400. According to Gold Tip, a 29" arrow with 100 grn field tip and 4" vanes, weighs 365 grns. My arrow will be 28" long and Blazer vanes with the 100 grn tip. I don't know about the weight of the blazers vs std 4" vanes. But I come up with a 357.6 grn arrow weight. Using http://bucklemke.com/ke/ke.php. I come up with a speed of 323 fps and 82.72 ft/lbs - ke.

My bow is a Bowtech 82nd Airborne, set at 29" and 64 lbs. The bow was factory set at 29" and birth certificate of 338 fps with a 350 grn arrow. Is this good or bad for hunting? It seems that there will be more than enough KE to get the job done. Would this be a good set up or would something else work better? I know that I can go with a heavier arrow and still have some speed and more KE. Just asking for some input or suggestions.

Thanks

2. Scottyluck

Scottyluck Member

For Hunting I would personally go with a heavier arrow for 2 reasons: penetration and quietness.
    A heavier arrow will have more knock down power at farther distances. It will also make your bow much more quiet at the shot.

If you want a lighter arrow for hunting I would not use the GT UL's. They are more of a target arrow with thin walls. I would look for something with a thicker wall again for penetration purposes. Not to mention if you deflect of a bone you will be less likely to break an arrow.

I'm personally not into speed when it comes to hunting. With your bow you can shoot a fairly heavy arrow and still achieve speeds well over 280fps.

3. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

Something like a Gold Tip 5575? That would bring my up to about 387.4 grns arrow weight.

4. Scottyluck

Scottyluck Member

I shot GT's for awhile. It seems since they moved some of their buisness to Mexico their quality has dropped some. I stopped using the XT's because I couldn't get a straight arrow out of a dozen. If I was gonna use GT it would be the Pro Hunters.

I'm using Beman ICS Hunters this season. I used Bemans in the past w/o any trouble. I couldn't get the GT's to tune out of my new setup.

387 is better but I feel you could be over 400grs with adequate speed. Again, that's just my personal opinion.

5. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

I was using Gold Tips and I had a brand new one first time that it was ever shot and it literally exploded. I got some excuse from the rep about it not being probperly knocked or whatever (it was) but he took them back. I switched to the Carbon Force Radial X Weave Pro 300s. They are kind of spendy but a much better arrow. They come with the 4" Duravane flights which you may or may not like but they seem to fly much better than the Gold Tips did. Just my opinion.

6. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha

You should try Beman ICS 400's, 8.4gr per inch
    Never had any problems with them hunting or 3D
    And price around $60 doz.bare shafts from chris:D
    $80doz.fletched around here:doh:

7. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

I am shooting Carbon Force radial e weave 300's now. I have not had any problem with them as of yet. I have re-fletched some with 2" Blazers due to the 82nd's short brace height. the 4" vanes are in the rest. I think that my arrow weight witht he CF arrows is right around 385 grns, the last time that I weighed them. I know that I am over 300 fps and the KE is great. Just shooting a bag target from Wal Mart. My Tribute would sink the arrows. My 82nd will have about 12" sticking out the back of the bag or pass through and mess up my vanes. LOL. My block has been shot to death, so not even trying to shoot it.

8. trussoni

My 300s with a 100 grain tip weigh in at almost 392grains. I think thats a little bit heavy for my Drenalin at 60lbs, but I am not sure.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  9. scottg

scottg Huntin Junkie

I have not had any problems with the CF arrows, I was just wondering if there was something better out there. I know that the speed, weight and KE will always have a different opinion. My bow has the speed and the KE. I do like to shoot flat for the reason that I only shoot one pin out to 30 yds. I shot my Tribute from a 20' stand and 1 pin at 20 and 30 yds. Saves some guessing in my book. The one thing is that I don't want an arrow failure upon release. The new bows have a pretty harsh launch to them and that can be hard on an arrow. 70 lbs is not 70 lbs anymore. There is 70 lbs on a bow shooting 240 and there is 70 lbs on a bow shooting 350. The arrow comming out of the bow shooting 350 is under way more stress than the one comming out of the 240 bow. That would be my main concern at this point.

10. trussoni

Mine seem to fly pretty flat or a lot flatter than the old GTs did atleast. I have nothing but praise for the x-weaves they hold up well and I shoot a lot. Same six arrows at least a thousand times w/o any problems other than clipping slicing of some vanes during grouping.

11. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

I shoot maxima 350's and will be trying the 250's because I didnt feel that my 350's were grouping correctly for my setup. Bunnyman pointed out (Thanks buddy) If my arrows are not flying right with the 350's I may be losing the KE anyway. So by switching to 250's that may fly better I may be making up in lost KE that I was losing from the 350's flying erradically. ALSO I was adding up all the weight that I was supposed to have but after actually weighing the arrow I found I was 20 grains over. That epoxy adds up really fast

12. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

For me personally, I would be looking for an arrow closer to 400 grains complete or maybe a bit over 400. The second thing is a 400 spine arrow will probably not be stiff enough for that bow at that weight.

By the way 80 ft/lbs is enough for Cape Buffalo with ribs that a 1.5" thick.:peace: So I think you have plenty. The 82nd airborne should be about 25-30 fps faster than your tribute.