Ordered!!! Apex 7 Coming!

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by swintj1, Aug 11, 2008.

1. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Well, as promised, I broke down and felt the best way to spend $1300 was on a brand new 2008 Mathews Apex 7. Just ordered it about an hour ago, so they are going to call in the order first thing tomorrow, should have it by Monday at the latest. I'm very excited!

This baby is going to be my Target/3D bow, probably do 70% target, 30% 3D and we'll see where I go from there. Here are the specs!

2008 Mathews Apex 7
    Color: Lizard Green
    Module: 60# Apex Cam
    28" DL
    Right Handed
    Rest: Mathews HDII Drop-Away

I'll post pics the moment it gets in, but here is what it will look like!
    View attachment 10806

Here's what I don't have that I need...so if you know anyone that has these...let me know!

1) Sureloc Supreme w/9"arm
    2) Viper 4X scope
    3) Specialty Archery Superpeep with 3/16" apature with Clarifier #1
    4) Stabilizer (undecided between Posten 18" and Doinker30"...weight is a serious issue, so the POSTEN is questionable...this might have to wait until I get a chance to try some others' stabilizers with my bow.

That is the ultimate set-up in my mind...should be all the right tools to get me to the top, all I have to do is practice now! :D I can't wait to get this bow in my hands and shoot those first couple shots! Gonna be awesome!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I am sure you'll be happy with it the Apex 7 is a good bow. :rockon:

3. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

Just kidding on the rest...I thought about it more...I just called them back and ordered a Trophy Taker Spring Steel 2. I hope that is the right decision...I don't have much money after all this.

I unfortunately have a dial up connection, so I can't download all those fancy programs that tell me what arrows to get...could anyone throw out a suggestion for me in regards to tip weight/tip type, and arrow?

Assume 50/50 between target and 3-D...so speed is kind of a factor...so I was leaning towards the CXL-S...what grain tip should I get for that arrow with a 28"DL?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

4. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha there

Awesome bow
    I got 1 question....Is it gonna make ya shoot better?
    Cause at 1300buxs if it dont you the one thats got some explan'in to do..:laugh:

Thats what my wife says to me so i had to do it ...just jokein..great bow..:wave:

5. bullfiddle

I shoot a Mathews Conquest at 60 lbs and a 28" draw. I am shooting the Easton Fat Boy 500's with a 70 grain screw in field point. Looks like the setup you bought is going to throw you into the open class if your shooting IBO so you could get 80 grain glue in nibs. (Bunnyman does not approve of Easton arrows so pay him no never mind... :laugh: )

6. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

I was reading a lot of target archers have tips of excess of more than 200 grains...is that right? It said the heavier the tip, the more accurate.

Are the fatboys fast at all? Or not really?

7. bullfiddle

What you need to remember is the heavier the weight of the arrow the faster it runs out of gas.... There is a weight limit in the IBO of 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight. So at 60 lbs. your minimum arrow weight can be is 300 grains. My fat boys with tips, fletchings and inserts weigh in right around 350 grains. The advantage to the Fatboys are they are around 7.1 grains per inch. Look at the arrow charts of the CXL's and see how they compare as far as weight I don't remember for sure. There is nothing wrong with the CXL's I shot them indoors last season. (Thanks to my BFF Rabbit...:laugh: ) With all of that said lighter arrows are really more of a outdoor advantage where you are shooting longer distances. Indoors the weight of the arrow is not as important. Because you are shooting at 20 yards all the time. (unless your going to shoot a 50 yard indoor 3D course). There are a million different combinations of arrows that will work for your set up. I am sure you'll probably here about 500,000 of em here. If you can get around a top notch archery shop in your area listen to what they have to say they will help you a ton...:wave: :wave: :wave:

8. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

Swint,

You wont need tips that heavy unless you are going to shoot FITA distances of 70+ yds! For IBO 3D you'll want the 80 grain NIBS and an arrow weight between 300-325 which is perfect for IBO. If you plan on shooting ASA then you'll need to knock down your speed to 280 fps MAX! There are a lot of rules and really 3D and spot shooting are two different animals! Check out the different websites on rules and targets, you'll see what I mean.

FITA
    NFAA
    IBO
    ASA

Just google search those 4 and you'll learn alot about the rules first then what setup and class you will be in. Hope this helps!