out for the first time

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by mrgrinch233, Oct 20, 2007.

1. mrgrinch233

mrgrinch233 Junior Member

well I took my new bow out today and didn't do to bad for my first time. I purchased a used bow (Bear whitetail hunter),from what I hear it's a very old 6 wheel bow. It came in very good condition and ready to shoot. I quickly realized I need alot of arrows.:doh: :D . I was able to hit my target at 20 yds consistantly. Except for one arrow that is now modified to shoot around corners:laugh: . I made the mistake of setting my target in front of a wood crate, not a good idea. Other then that I had a very good time.
    The weight is set at 50-55 lbs. that is the lowest it will go and will go to 60lbs.
    I am not too happy with the rest it has on it and would and like to change it. The rest is on with double sided tape and does not have a hole where I can screw in one that I would like. Can I just drill a hole where I need to? I am looking for a proshop near hear but where I live I believe the nearest one is 100 miles away. So I will have to learn how to work on this thing mostly myself, with alot of help from you guys.:D I am not afraid to do so as I work on my own handguns and rifle.
    This looks like it's gonna be alot of fun. So off to walmart to buy some new practice arrows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Nice old bow you got there...
    They were great bows back in their day, there's not much to them as far as tuning and repairs. You should have no trouble learning the basics...
    Good luck and have fun. :D

3. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Dittos
    I would take a newer bow and kindly match tha hole and drill it in relavance to it.
    I hope this does not weaken tha riser and cause it to break after awhile
    That fellar is a cast magnesium one. so it may not hold up to long with a hole drilled in it
    I'd drill it at a slow speed so as not ta heat tha puppy up none.I'd keep some oil on tha spot to.
    Then it might last a life time.
    Good luck on yore set up.

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I actually just did this on another guys Whitetail Hunter...
    There were dimples in the riser where the holes need to be...
    I just drilled 3/4 of the way through the riser and tapped it to 5/16-24 with a bottoming tap works great...

5. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and a great job he did........:peace:

7. mrgrinch233

thanks guys I really appreciate the help. I see the dimple you are talking about. now off to get a tap set.

8. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Thats it.

Ive seen people drill the hole out and tap.
    I wouldnt.
    I would just use this bow to help u get use to shooting.
    The speed's not there and if you invest money on a rest & something else happened to it (givin its age) you would be waisting your time and money!
    Look around for something in the 5-to 10 year range you could get a pretty good deal!
    Hope this help's.:biggrin1:

9. mrgrinch233

Hey KBO, I'll take your advice and leave this one as it is. I'll practice, practce, practice and when I feel confident that I am really doing well then I will move on to a new bow. Then maybe I will pass this bow on to another beginner so they can learn and enjoy .

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Great!

Thats great thinking!
    When your ready get back with me or the forum and we'll point ya in the right direction.
    The problem with a lot of first timmers is they jump right in before asking.
    Archery is a sport you can spend alot of money in if ya dont get information from people that already went thru it, so ask as you go!:biggrin1:
    Here ta help!:peace:

11. red44

red44 Senior Member

That was my first compound too.
    I just put a flipper rest on my recurve and one on a co-workers first compound. It's also a bear but not the same model. I'd say a couple years newer at most. Flippers work fine. Have fun with it.

12. mrgrinch233

Hey all. My problem with the flipper is that I have a tendency to hold the arrow with my index finger and it just dosen't feel right. I have no one to coach me here as far as technique here, practicing at home. Is the finger the way to hold the arrow until I have fully drawn my bow? I seem to be concentrating on that hoping my arrow doesn't fall and it is effecting my sighting. I'll keep practicing and asking ??'s until I can have someone physically help me out. thanks guys.

13. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I don't know much about flipper rests, but using your index finger to steady the arrow while drawing shouldn't be a problem. Once you get your bow back to full draw take your finger off and then concentrate on your sight. I would suggest having the d-loop reinstalled looks rather long! You could probally shoot fingers off that loop....:doh: Good luck and practice alot!

14. mrgrinch233

ok, I shortened the d loop. Now my next issue is bending arrows. I have a square styrafoam target and I am shooting Easton stalker aluminum arrows, I keep pulling out slightly bent arrows out of my target. Is it that I am using cheap arrows, am I pulling them out wrong, is something wrong with the way I am shooting or is there something wrong with my set up? I am hitting my target close to center and my grouping is pretty good. I am also getting a nice round hole, so it appears that my arrow is flying fairly streight. What can I be doing wrong? Should carbon arrows keep this from happening?
    I really want to let you guys know that all the help you have given me so far has been greatly appreciated. If it was not for simple ?'s being answered here I might have given up. But now there is no chance I am having way too much fun, and I found my local proshop. As soon as I can round up some extra cash I will pay them a vist and have them look over my bow.

15. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha,MRG

1: your arrows might be bending because there to weak spined.
    How long are they? and what is the # on the arrow?

2: I shoot a springy rest on my recurve,You have to bend the end up!
    About 1/8 inch from the end, be carefull not to break it out of the plastic use both hands grab it in the middle to hold it firm and bend the tip stright up slightly,the arrows wont fall off now!:wave:

16. mrgrinch233

# on arrows-2219 I believe they are 30in.
    I want to try different ones, do you recomend any for target practice?
    And thanks for the bend trick. I'll try it out tomorrow.

17. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha!

2219 are pretty stiff they shouldnt bend,it may be the way your pulling them out (like you said)

If ya want a little more speed try 2216
    I use to shot 2213 on 64lbs but my arrow is only 28&3/4
    With your arrow length ya need to stay with the stiffer shaft!
    2216,2117 or the one your useing 2219
    A quick listen: the 22 is the outside diameter of the shaft.
    The 19 is the thickness of the alluminum in the wall of the shaft.
    The more length and poundage you shoot the stiffer the wall you need, and vise-vursa!:biggrin1:

18. mrgrinch233

oooooohhhh!! I see and have learned my lesson for the day. Thank you Sensei. I guess it has to be the way I am gorilla'n them out. Note to self( be more gentile). Since I purchased this bow not knowing anything about draw lenght or anything else I am have noticed I could use a shorter draw length like a 28in. this one is at 30in. I now know to get my next one properly fitted.

19. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

Do yourself a favor and save some money in arrows. Go buy yourself a good bag target from delta or morrell. the arrows will come out much smoother with very little effort. and the price of the target won't break the bank!:biggrin1:

20. mrgrinch233

Thanks Cable, for the heads up on bag targets. I am new to this and did not know my options. I also realized why my last 2 arrows bent, stupid me.:doh:
    My target was not properly supported, fell over and I believe that is what is my problem.