Overdraw

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Heavyhaul, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

If you like answering questions, you guys will love me. What is an overdraw? What is its purpose? It just sounds bad to me.

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Overdraws are great! ;)

Actually and Overdraw is basically an item that allows you to shoot an arrow that is shorter then your draw length.

Due to the current risers that are normally used with todays bows and with the rests that are used an "overdraw" of 1 inch or more is common. This is because most rests are mounted BEHIND the riser, thus your draw length (which is measured from the back of the riser to where your draw stops) is longer then how long your arrow has to be.

A lot of archers used to use overdraws back in the day to allow them to shoot extremely short aluminum arrows to increase their speed. overdraws of 5 - 6 inches were not uncommon. this allowed guys to shoot arrows in the 22 - 25 inch range or sometimes even shorter.

The benefits are pretty much gone now that carbon arrows and lighter aluminums, higher native bow speeds, and more efficient bows have come around.

3. Heavyhaul

Heavyhaul Member

I thank ya kindly, sir. I am about to open a thread that is going to cause a stir.:D

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

My favorite kind!

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

everyones favorite kind.....

6. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

The one downside to an overdraw is that it can magnify any torquing issues. Basically you have lowered the effective brace height of your bow. So you may have increased the speed of the bow but may have also effected its accuracy.